Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What's channel reciprocity in Wimax Beam Forming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alzomor

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi

I red this phrase regarding beam forming in Wimax

"To perform transmit beamforming, the transmitter needs to have accurate knowledge
of the channel, which in the case of TDD is easily available owing to channel reciprocity but for FDD requires a feedback channel to learn the channel characteristics."

What's meant by channel reciprocity?
And how it could be used for channel estimation?

Salam
Hossam Alzomor
www(.)i-g(.)org

Re: Wimax Beam Forming

I suspect that the receiver performs analysis on the phases and amplitudes of the received signals form several antennas in a phased array and from them deduces the azimuth of the received signal. It then sets the amplitudes and phases of the signals sent to the transmitter phased array antennas to make the beam pattern maximum at the azimuth of the received signal.
This will produce the most likely probability of the remote terminal receiving the best possible quality of signal in the reverse direction.

So the problem with FDD is that the uplink is on other channel than the down link so the Tx can't estimate the downlink channel model based on the received data on the uplink channel.

Am I true?

Salam
Hossam Alzomor
www(.)i-g(.)org

This is a problem if the two frequencies are different.

alzomor

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

Reciprocity implies that the channels is very nearly the same in both directions, and so information gathered by reception can be used to do beamforming in tranmsit direction. in FDD since uplink and downlink frequencies are different, this cannot be done, which is not the case for TDD.
-b

Status
Not open for further replies.