Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

what's a cheap way to solder find-pitch SMT components?

Status
Not open for further replies.

daredge

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have to use some SMT IC with less than 8mil pads. The pins are on the side and under the chip... makes it even harder to do hand soldering. I got one done successfully. But it was pretty hard.

I wonder if there's a better way to do this (but not very expensive)...

Should I try pyropen with solder paste? Any other ideas?

Thanks.

daredge

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
hi,

heres a topic I started about desoldering fine pitch components, but actual soldering requires much the same equipment, probably less equipment.

There is a particularly good article from AVRfreaks, which is linked in the post.

Good luck, and its probably easier than you thought, and, for me at least, cheap.
(<£30UK)

BuriedCode

Hi .. i have solder very tiny smt components ..one thing is to do it for a PROTOTYPE and another for PRODUCTION .. assuming that you wan to do it for protos .
here is ..you need special solder paste like kestner RN244 .( this paste is kept refrigerated) .now you need two more things a needle to dip in the paste and apply tiny amounts of paste on the circuit .then place your smt component and
with the a very fine pitch soldering iron just apply heat to the component contacts
the paste inmmidiatly will flow making beatiful solders ..

do a couple of trys and you will be able to do anything ..
the key is the fine pitch soldering iron .One last tips have at hand a couple of very fine twizzers to handle the part and to hold one end while you hold the other of it..
Ok one more thing ... you better have magnifiying glasses .. like the ones that the jewlers use ..

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back