Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What would be the break-even point for moving FPGA to ASIC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

davorin

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
ASIC costs...

Just out of curiosity (o;

What would be the breakeven point for moving FPGA to ASIC?

Let´s say when does it makes sense to put a EP1C6 cyclone design into an ASIC and which minimum quantity would be needed and what price to expect (besides design tools), like initial costs etc.

Re: ASIC costs...

davorin said:
Just out of curiosity (o;

What would be the breakeven point for moving FPGA to ASIC?

Let´s say when does it makes sense to put a EP1C6 cyclone design into an ASIC and which minimum quantity would be needed and what price to expect (besides design tools), like initial costs etc.

I will stay at FPGA, the NRE cost of ASIC is so huge right now, cannot afford it. fpga price is going down, but ASIC NRE cost is going up

hi,
you can just estimate it.
NRE for 0.25um is about $160k
NRE for 0.18um is about $300k
but if tapeout suceed, the product price is much lower than fpga.

Like Davorin, just curious..what means NRE? And what are the justifications of such high costs anyway? As far as I know, the materials are not very expensive, I cannot imagine the materials inside a PC processor more than few $, eventually tens of $. The rest of the cost is intelectual property. But in this case, the IP belong to the client, so why this high cost??

/pisoiu

I would say that NRE stands for something like: Non Returning Expenses or something similar...basically initial costs to get you started...

Also thought it would be a little lower...can´t imagine how smaller companies like Axis managed to make on CPUs...

Hi,
NRE cost stands for "Non Recurring Engineering" cost, yes it is the initial cost to get started, it occurs once in a project, as opposed to maintenance cost etc which are Recurring costs.

As far as high costs are concerned, just look at the cost of building and running a high tech foundry.
yes the materials are not expensive but their processing is.

thanks
sawaak

just to add to the NRE cost estimates for smaller technologies. these are numbers i heard from various sources.

130nm: $1M
90nm: $2M

although these are estimates, they clearly show a trend, ASICs are becoming less affordable for small numbers. if you are looking into replacing an FPGA by an ASIC for cost reasons, maybe have a look at Hardcopy by Altera. that is economically sensible already for smaller numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back