Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

what will be the value of Vb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

the_falcon

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,
I am getting a bit confused with the voltage division rule in this problem.the picture is attached below.when Vcc is 15 V and Ra and Rb are 100 Kohms and Ib is 0.1 mA, what will be the value of Vb.

I actually thought the procedure would be like (Vcc * Rb)/(Ra+Rb).But it is wrong.

Can anyone explain me this as where I am thinking wrong.

Use the quation for the voltage divider with load assuming that the load is represented by the input impedance (resistance) R[in] and that:
[*] I[in]= 0.1mA = U[in]/R[in]

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/voldiv.html

U[in] = Vcc * {R ll R[in]} / {R[a]+R ll R[in]}

Solve the equation for R[in]
I[in]*R[in] = Vcc * {R ll R[in]} / {R[a]+R ll R[in]}
then go back to [*] to calculate U[in] ..

IanP
:D

Hi.

Voltage divider is circuit that consists of two impedances connected in series. In your case base of CE transistor is connected to the node between resistors and it sinks a non-zero current, so these resistors don't form divider (note that if base current were zero, Ra and Rb could be considered as divider).

You can derive expression for Vb in the next way:
1) Apply KCL to the node between Ra and Rb: Ira = Irb + Ib.
2) Apply Ohm's law to Ra and Rb: (Vcc-Vb)/Ra = Vb/Rb + Ib <=> Vb = Vcc*Rb/(Ra+Rb) - Ib*Ra*Rb/(Ra+Rb) => Vb = 2.5 V.

the_falcon

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
so good..that was a very nice explanation.

thanks so much

falcon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back