Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What type of voltage regulators to use to get +10V/0.7A, -10v/0.7A, +5v/1A and +3.3V/2A DC outputs from a 24v/5A DC source?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eng22

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi. I have a 24v/5A DC output. I want to get +10V/0.7A, -10v/0.7A, +5v/1A and +3.3V/2A DC o/p from this. What kind of voltage regulators can I use? Any reference designs for these outputs?

Hi,

Theoretically possible to generate all form one flyback.

But I´d use sing SMPS.

For sure it depends on your needs: cost, volume, size, isolation, EMI noise, voltage riple, voltage accuracy, efficiency....

Reference designs:
Every SMPS manufacturer as well as every SMPS IC manufacturer provides additional information like: datasheets, application notes, design notes, reference designs... and so on.

Klaus

Regards, Dana.

Hi,

Theoretically possible to generate all form one flyback.

But I´d use sing SMPS.

For sure it depends on your needs: cost, volume, size, isolation, EMI noise, voltage riple, voltage accuracy, efficiency....

Reference designs:
Every SMPS manufacturer as well as every SMPS IC manufacturer provides additional information like: datasheets, application notes, design notes, reference designs... and so on.

Klaus
Should I use several voltage regulators for each output or just one voltage regulator IC with multiple outputs? which is more reliable and efficient?

Regards, Dana.
Should I use several voltage regulators for each output or just one voltage regulator IC with multiple outputs? which is more reliable and efficient?

Reliability, many considerations, like if one supply fails do you want the
others to run, more components = less reliability (in general), this is a
topic in its own right.

Efficiency, do some basic computations.

Regards, Dana.
--- Updated ---

A basic calculation using mic of swing and linear regulators :

1664201997354.png

Regards, Dana.
--- Updated ---

1664202273959.png

Last edited:

Use Buck for the positive ones.
Use Cuk or Flyback for the negative ones.
Unless you need isolation in all cases, whereby use flyback for all.

Multi output can suffer regulation problems......say of the regulated winding goes on no load etc etc.
Cross regulation can be poor with multi.

In the interest of "just getting it done, cheap" I'd look for a generic "28V" to split 15V + 5V brick (or smaller module) and a 5V to 3.3V POL buck. Presuming no great sequencing issues etc.

Also, you could go to digikey.com, and type in "DCDC converters" in the search field...then find your wanted power supply.

By applying your 24VDC supply across a stack of 2 capacitors, you get split 12V supplies. Designate a new ground between them and call one positive and the other negative. Add a half-bridge to give more current to the upper capacitor so as to compensate for its greater amount of loads.

By putting an inductor where a wire was, it smoothes waveforms which are otherwise spike-y with peaks of several Amperes through the capacitors.

clk-driven 2-cap stack w inductor splits 24VDC to 11V supplies lopsided loads.png

Status
Not open for further replies.