Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What type of simulation should I do for a 10MHz Oscillator?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitotsu

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
10 mhz oscillator

Hi guys/girls, thank you for looking at this thread.

I had designed a Ring oscillator that runs at 10MHz
I had simulate fast/slow corner and find that its within +-20%
I also done Monte carlo simulation

Is there any other type of simulation that i should be doing? Say for application in RFID.

Thank you for your help
Hitotsu

oscillator fs type

Hitotsu said:
... Is there any other type of simulation that i should be doing?
sf / fs conditions simulated, too?
Self start under MC-mixed conditions, especially worst case process, min. op. voltage and low temperatures (min. op. temperature ... 0°C).
Self start with slowly rising op. voltage.

oscillator monte carlo simulation

erikl said:
Hitotsu said:
... Is there any other type of simulation that i should be doing?
sf / fs conditions simulated, too?
Self start under MC-mixed conditions, especially worst case process, min. op. voltage and low temperatures (min. op. temperature ... 0°C).
Self start with slowly rising op. voltage.

Thank you so much for telling me that. May I ask how do i simulate fs & sf? I do know for ff is just 'fast'

I don't really get the MC-mixed condition, whats is that and how can i simulate it? pls advice.

I did simulate the worst case (temp, vdd & res) though

Re: What type of simulation should I do for a 10MHz Oscillat

Hitotsu said:
Thank you so much for telling me that. May I ask how do i simulate fs & sf? I do know for ff is just 'fast'
fs means fast pfets combined with slow nfets, sf the other way round (and I guess it's clear what ff means ;-) ). These are other possible "worst case" combinations which could occur on a processed wafer. If your PDK contains these models, it is wise to simulate with them.

Hitotsu said:
I don't really get the MC-mixed condition, whats is that and how can i simulate it? pls advice.
The problem with oscillators sometimes is, that they won't self-start under special condition combinations, somewhere in the 3-dimensional PVT space, which cannot be found by just simulating the extreme corners of this space (I once happened to have an oscillator design, which worked (self-started) at all simulated PVT corner conditions, but refused to do so at the condition combination {fs , highest (!) VDD, in the T-range -25 .. 0°C}. This was discovered during lab experiments on delivered chips, and could be verified by postLayout simulation under appropriately combined simulation conditions).

This is what I meant with MC-mixed conditions: A selection of different PVT simulation combinations apart from the corner conditions. Not necessarily selected by a Monte Carlo mechanism (actually I don't know if it is possible to select random PVT combinations by the MC method); such local PVT points (combinations) could also be selected intuitively.

If you have the time, just try some more points in the PVT space! With slowly ramping-up VDD.
Good luck! erikl

erikl said:
Hitotsu said:
fs means fast pfets combined with slow nfets, sf the other way round (and I guess it's clear what ff means ;-) ). These are other possible "worst case" combinations which could occur on a processed wafer. If your PDK contains these models, it is wise to simulate with them.

Hitotsu said:
The problem with oscillators sometimes is, that they won't self-start under special condition combinations, somewhere in the 3-dimensional PVT space, which cannot be found by just simulating the extreme corners of this space (I once happened to have an oscillator design, which worked (self-started) at all simulated PVT corner conditions, but refused to do so at the condition combination {fs , highest (!) VDD, in the T-range -25 .. 0°C}. This was discovered during lab experiments on delivered chips, and could be verified by postLayout simulation under appropriately combined simulation conditions).

This is what I meant with MC-mixed conditions: A selection of different PVT simulation combinations apart from the corner conditions. Not necessarily selected by a Monte Carlo mechanism (actually I don't know if it is possible to select random PVT combinations by the MC method); such local PVT points (combinations) could also be selected intuitively.

If you have the time, just try some more points in the PVT space! With slowly ramping-up VDD.
Good luck! erikl

Hi Erik,

You have been most helpful & I really appreaciate that. I will try my best to find that special condition if it exists. My ring oscillator deviate alot at Monte Carlo analysis until i think i need a digital trim. Any fundamental design advice to make it more stable? Thanks for the help once again.

Best Regards
Joe

Hitotsu said:
Any fundamental design advice to make it more stable?
Best Regards
Joe
Hi Joe,
just these trivial recommendations: Try to compensate temperature dependencies, and stabilize VDD ! ;-)
There's no cure for process variations (apart from screening) :cry:
Cheers, erikl

erikl said:
Hitotsu said:
Any fundamental design advice to make it more stable?
Best Regards
Joe
Hi Joe,
just these trivial recommendations: Try to compensate temperature dependencies, and stabilize VDD ! ;-)
There's no cure for process variations (apart from screening) :cry:
Cheers, erikl

Hi Erik

Thank for the advice, i'll think about it.

Best regards
Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back