Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What type of Ports are used for HFSS S parameter analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

hioyo

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear Team,

In Ansys HFSS for S parameter extraction what type of Ports are used.

May I know the difference between waveport and lumped port.

Regards

HARI

Solution
I'm not sure what you mean by "PCB channel"; if you're using microstrip or slotline either would suffice. Generally, waveports are used for external excitations (that come from outside the domain), while lumped ports are used for internal excitations -- although these are somewhat flexible, as well.

Mostly, it is a matter of preference and accuracy to modelling your exact situation.
From the HFSS "Help" documentation:

Wave Port
Represents the external surface through which a signal enters or exits the geometry. It is effectively a semi-infinite waveguide attached to the model. This waveguide has the same cross-section and material properties as the port. Wave ports are placed on this interface to provide a means to link the model device to the external world.

Lumped Port
Represents an internal surface through which a signal enters or exits the device. It is effectively a lumped element for exciting the device and measuring S-parameters. For designs with only lumped ports or a combination of lumped and circuit ports, the Advanced Solution Setup, Options tab includes an option to use Enhanced low frequency accuracy.

I'm not sure what you mean by "PCB channel"; if you're using microstrip or slotline either would suffice. Generally, waveports are used for external excitations (that come from outside the domain), while lumped ports are used for internal excitations -- although these are somewhat flexible, as well.

Mostly, it is a matter of preference and accuracy to modelling your exact situation.

hioyo

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Solution
If you're using a differential-mode CPS, I would either use a waveport exciting the differential mode, or a lumped port placed between the two lines.

Good Luck!

hioyo

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hi Planar,

Thank you very much.

What I understood from the above definitions is for PCB channel S parameter extraction we need to use Lumped S parameters.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Regards
HARI

Hi Plannar,

Thank you very much.

Channel I mean if you are extracting the S parameters of DDR, then the path from processor to DDR.

Regards
HARI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back