Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What to buy in order to convert 60hz to 50hz

Status
Not open for further replies.

bd3rdstone

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am currently in the United States working on a project with aquarium pumps from the UK. they are rated at using 220VAC and at 50hz. My power supply is at 110VAC 60hz. I have a step up transformer for the voltage, but how do I get the frequency to go from 60hz to 50hz? are there any solutions that are under $100? The pumps are not functioning as they should. Any advice or information would be appreciated, thanks!

There is no easy way to convert frequency. It will cost you more than $100. Search the web for frequency converters

You might take one, feed it 240/60Hz, stand back and see
what happens. Some of the cheapo aquarium pumps, the
little solenoid hummer types, don't have much to go wrong.
Less so, going up in Hz (less inductor current) than down.

If you can obtain an inverter made for European uses, then
it will give you the right 50Hz. I think I've seen 220V ones
on eBay. Put a battery in between it and a decent charger,
and maybe that does it for you. Depending on the motors
you might, or might not need a sine wave inverter.

I would bet that somebody sells "frequency converters"
but I'd also bet you won't like the price. Being as they
will be roughly the same as the charger-battery-inverter
lineup, omitting the battery, but not enjoying nearly the
economies of scale that residential inverters do.

I would agree with barry and dick, besides you maybe approaching the problem from the wrong direction.

What is the cost of the current aquarium pumps? What would an appropriate replacement aquarium pump cost in the US?

What is the actual power requirements of the pump motors? If the motor is not visible you may want to open one the enclosure and take a look.

BigDog

I am currently in the United States working on a project with aquarium pumps from the UK. they are rated at using 220VAC and at 50hz. My power supply is at 110VAC 60hz. I have a step up transformer for the voltage, but how do I get the frequency to go from 60hz to 50hz? are there any solutions that are under $100? The pumps are not functioning as they should. Any advice or information would be appreciated, thanks!

You could try feeding the output of a 50 Hz sine wave signal generator into an audio amplifier. Run the output of the amp into a step-up transformer to get to 220VAC. For example, use a transformer that's rated for 220VAC to 12VAC. Then adjust the amplifier volume to get 220VAC under load. I'm assuming that the aquarium pump is a small one that only draws a few watts. Do all the appropriate calculations to make sure that the wattages, loads, etc. are reasonable.

I wouldn't try this with a big expensive amplifier - just in case! :)

Ed

the cost of the product is a concern if it is worth blowing a couple then try some thing on it with your PSU and all

otherwise better try to remodify the system interior to suit your need

LOL !! some really creative responses here. Great read !! Loved the Amp+ Siggen solution :grin:

Anyhow, I wouldn't worry too much about precisely 'matching' the frequency.

What you DO have to be careful about is getting a decent voltage/ current to your pump.
For that you HAVE a transformer.... but what is your transformers power capability ? And what is the power rating of your pump ? Have a look on both items for "W" or "VA" quantities. Your transformers W/VA should be at least 2x times that of your pump for reliable operation.

2nd'ly --- please also describe further what you mean by "...not functioning as they should..". Does it not start ? Is it too slow/ too fast? Does it make a noise ?? Whatever ?
The forum members might be able to give a better solution if you do so.

cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.