Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What the terms PSPICE, HSPICE, SSPICE mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabu

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
WHAT IT MEANS

hi friends, do u know what the tearms PSPICE,HSPICE,SSPICE means.I am hoping ur replays.
thnks in advance
sabu

Re: WHAT IT MEANS

Hspice, Pspice & Sspice are the different variants of Spice from different commercial companies. Their programming languages are quite similar.

PSPICE a simulation tool for electronic circuits released by Berkeley university...
SPICE is an acronym for "Simulation Program with Integrated Circuit Emphasis."

Its nothing but a netlist file where u can specify the devices and sources connectivity for simulation purpose.

electronics_kumar said:
PSPICE a simulation tool for electronic circuits released by Berkeley university...
SPICE is an acronym for "Simulation Program with Integrated Circuit Emphasis."
Actually, PSPICE is the name of a commercial tool released by OrCAD (now Cadence).

WHAT IT MEANS

PSPICE came from MicroSim (around 1985). It was a very nice DOS-based version of Berkeley SPICE (around 1975). PSPICE later moved to OrCAD and then to Cadence, and became a Windows app.

More info:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SPICE

WHAT IT MEANS

There is also TSpice from Tanner.
I wonder why there is no IEEE SPICE standard like there is for VHDL for example. PSpice, HSPICE, and Berkeley SPICE are all a little different.

There is no hope for a netlist standard for spice because each vendor add there own features to follow the user requirements. Examples are: parametric subcircuits, namespace conventions, simulation options, result storage options and uncounted model flavors.
There is an actual requirement for a standard which is driven by automatic characterisation and exploration tools. In this usage spice is only used as an engine driven by a higher layer design enviroment. This enviroment could run for example 2 HSIM for functional, 8 Spectre for DC, 6 ADS for HB and 46 Spice3F4 on a cluster system for a complex mixed signal circuit verfication. The interface is then a specific ripper for the commercial engine. It drives the netlist, commands and collects the results.
The next level of interface bypass the spice netlist and command reader and use a memory API to drive direct the matrix engine. I expect that this come only with a single vendor because there is a dramatic drop of understanding of the advantages of this approach in the design community. Furtheron the single big company trend defocus interop standards.

I have heard that there is a TCL-Spice, so a spice driven by a TCL-Script interpreter. But I think it is more focused on automation features.

WHAT IT MEANS

rfsystem, thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back