Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What techniques are used for ESD protection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rogger123

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
ESD protection

hi,
can someone suggest standard techniques which can be used for ESD protection.

Re: ESD protection

Usually sensitive input ar protected through an unidirectional clamp (transzorb) or two diodes that clamps the voltage to VCC or GND.

If possible you can add a capacitor (1..10 nf) between the input and groud. The capacitance on the input allows a lower voltage rise during the ESD discharge. However on high speed input you cannot use this capacitance.

Here is a book for ESD protection circuits. Hope it will be useful to you.

Attachments

• esd_protection_circuits.pdf
    636.5 KB · Views: 202

cesare said:
Usually sensitive input ar protected through an unidirectional clamp (transzorb) or two diodes that clamps the voltage to VCC or GND.

Very popular and low cost is protection by BAV99 diodes with serial rezistor.

ESD protection

Try to find the Pad Library of TSMC, you can find some useful example of ESD

ESD protection

hi.
the grounding is very common method to overcom to EMI from electrostatic dischrge(ESD).

You can use the following solutions, depending on circuit speed:

1. A Zener diode, typically in parallel to a decoupling capacitor, across the ESD-sensitive terminal, such as CMOS I/O pin. However this is only suitable for low to medium speed interfaces in the range below 100MHz.

2. A dual-rail clamp which is frequently used in high speed interfaces above 100MHz to a few GHz. Two diodes in reversed-bias are used. A diode between the rail voltage (V+) and the I/O pin that clamps the +ESD (greater than V+) from the I/O pin to the rail. Another diode between the ground (V-) and the I/O pin that clamps the -ESD (lower than V-) to ground.

Proffessor Liu in central frorida university is expert on ESD

ESD protection

using zener diodes to limit the voltage .other possible methods are given in the book
"on chip protection for integrated circuits" by albert wang. it is available in the forum

ESD component, capacitor, zener diode at signal input.
or choose a IC which has good ESD protection

Status
Not open for further replies.