Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What software is typically used for Xilinx FPGA development?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a comparison between several products, this is a rough summary from several design experiences :

Synplify usually yields the best performance and a reasonable gate count, but it is really expensive.

The FPGA Express that was shipped with previous EDA from Xilinx could usually produce smaller design than any other tool, and was ok for performance. Anyway, it is not provided anymore and had a reduced VHDL feature set (like most of Synopsys tools).

XST is getting better, but seems to be greedy in gate count. It is ok for speed-oriented design.

If cost matters, you should try the webpack, which is free. You can find information on Xilinx site : **broken link removed**

Here is a short feature summary, from this page :
"Complete downloadable entry level desktop solution
Supports:
-All Spartan™ II/IIE Families (except XC2S400E and XC2S600E)
- CoolRunner™ XPLA3 / All CoolRunner-II
-XC9500™ Series
-Virtex-E™: V50E - V300E
-Virtex-II™: 2V40 - 2V250
-Virtex-II Pro™: 2VP2
HDL / ABEL synthesis and simulation
XST - VHDL and Verilog synthesis
ABEL v7.5 synthesis and simulation
State Diagram Entry
HDL testbench generation
3rd Party simulation support
JTAG & 3rd party EDA support
Bitstream configuration
Power-analysis software
"

There are 3 contendors in this field; 1- synopsys fpga express, 2- synplicity and 3- mentor fpga advantage. I looked into this a while back and picked fpga express over the other two simply because synopsys was smart enough to build a mini version of primetime into this tool so in case you designed a 100 mhz fpga and found yourself stairing at a final product with a top speed of 20 mhz, a chance to go back and retime your critical paths using fpga express pipelining and retiming feature.
synplicity makes it easy on you by giving you a push button aproach but if you have designed for a while you know this is the last thing you want. I mean its ok but as long as the design is simple and nothing goes wrong. yah, when was the last time that happened!
Lately, mentor is putting a lot of effort into fpga advantage to try to take the lead with features like; integrated simulation and synthesis/ design, allowing easier integration for your legacy designs. The unified control cockpit is nice but it suffers from the same over automation disease as synplicity is.
My preference is from most usefull to least; 1- fpga express, 2- fpga advantage and 3- synplify/amplify/certify combinations.

I think the best solution for FPGA development:

Active HDL - Synplify/Amplify - ISE

I also used aldec+synplicity+ISE
But ISE5.1, the design manager tools not include in xilinx package, how to use it?

Does ISE5.1 integrates with Synopsys FPGA Compiler II? 4.2 seems don't

with ISE

I use Aldec+ISE5.1 (4.2 for SpartanXL)+FPGAExpress(Simplify)

Altera Maxpuls II and Other Mathematic or EDA software.

FPGA Advantage 6.1 is fine for design, simulation, synthesis and documentacion if your budget allow it!!!.

for beginners ISE is a good choice
for experts ISE+synplify+modelsim(or debussy)

UltraEdit - coding
ModelSim - simulation
Synplify - synthesis
ISE - implement

Re: What software is typically used for Xilinx FPGA developm

me too.
Modelsim to simulate
ISE for edit, P&R and programming via Jtag.
Bye.
G.

Visual Elte - coding
Verilog-XL - simulation
Synplify - synthesis
ISE - implementing

I just want to add some words in support of XST. The output from any tool is greatly improved if you have the indepth knowledge of the tool. For e.g., in case of XST if you follow the guidelines of HDL coding written in their manuals, you will definitely see improvement. If you write your code in such a way the maximum components will be inferred and use Xilinx library components by instantiating them, you will definitely see improvement.

i use ISE + modelsim + synplify pro
from my experience synplify pro is much faster than
XST,and what is important is that synplify can provide more options to select for constrait

I use
ModelSim - Simulation and Verification
LeonardoSpectrum - Synthesis
ISE(4.1 or 6.1) - Implementing
Leonardo has better result than SynplifyPro because they use differnet algorithms. For example in my last design i use a spartan family for my project. leonardo could synthesize it on a 20k chip with 34Mhz but SynplifyPro used 30k chip with 29Mhz.

modelsim5.8+ISE6.2 is best

Hi!

i dont have a big picture regarding that what i know is that ISE webpack is a complete integrated tools software otherwise u have to get the tools induvidually and perform the task one by one and obtain the final result. seprate induvidual tools n their licence r very expansive also. u can have induvidual tools from mentor graphics, cadence, synopsis etc.

bye
Ashish

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back