Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What simulator is better HSPICE or SPECTRE ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gevy

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
simulation spectre divergence

What simulator is better HSPICE or SPECTRE ?
For analog design ?
For mixed design ?

Parameters for comparison:
Accuracy
Speed
Functionalities
The friendly interface
Others

Hspice advantages:
1- accuracy (includes very good algorithms to do convergence)
2- functinality
3- just for analog circuits

Hspice disadvantages:
1- user enemy environment or interface (does not include a schematic editor)
2- slower than Spectre because of accuracy

Spectre Advantages:
1- better user interface
2- mixed circuits simulation
3- faster than Hspice

Regards,
KH

Many said that HSPICE is more accurate than spectre,But from the view of algorithm ,they are the same.

I think the accuracy between Hspice and Specture are same . But in convergence point of view, Hspice often lead to unconvergence problem when simulate large circuit size.

the accuracy depond on you simulation option value.
I believe the SPECTRE is better for the speed and convergence

Hi
for high freqeuncy simulation go for Spectre.

I thought they are almost same.Now $ynposys has added the schematic entry for the tool,it can also do analog mixed simulation.
But for RF toolkit,spectre has very strong capability.Though you may also try @DS tools for RF design

CDRCDR said:
I thought they are almost same.Now $ynposys has added the schematic entry for the tool,it can also do analog mixed simulation.
But for RF toolkit,spectre has very strong capability.Though you may also try @DS tools for RF design
could you tell me which version of HSPICE include schematic entry ?

I much prefer HSPICE as it based on script that you can modify as you want.
But my favorite simulator remains ELDO, as accurate as HSPICE, as fast as Spectre, many useful command such .DEFUNC : function definition!

CDRCDR said:

em..never know that HSpice comes with schematic editor. Do you mind to tell me what's the binary name? I used to use HSpice with Cosmos SE which is a custom layout schematic editor from Synopsys.

people say spectre gives less convergence/divergence problems. In my experience, it's the contrary. Spectre failed on my several times and HSPICE has not on the same design and testbench. Go figure.

From what i know, the algorithm in Hspice and spectre are not the same. Hspice is more accurate, spectre is beeter in converge.

By the way, spectre interface is very friendly, though i did not use it.

<<The designer's guide to Spice &Spectre>> may be helpful

hspice is industrial language that all of the simulators support it.
then I think hspice is better than spectre.Beside hspice the other simulators like spectre, eldo,...are helpful.

Yes, hspice is the benchmark of most of the fab's model. Most of the simulator have to compare their result with hspice to show their accuracy

hspice more accuracy while spectre has more function

How hspice use for rf simulation?

I just want to know which company makes SPECTRE ?

I think they just have different model's type.
for IC5,both of the spice &spectra can be used.

Well I do not want to be too cynical but to me the best one is the one which a) company provides, b) models are extracted for
anything alse is just question of personal preferences.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back