Not open for further replies.

bittware

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello experts,
I need your advices on what I should pay attention to for applying switcing power supply on sensitive analog environment.
I knew the EMI would be an issue. But how to combat with it during design phase is my concern. Say how to choose a friendly switching power supply scheme in terms of EMI property?
Maybe there are lots other things need to be taken more considerations except for the EMI problem. Anyone could offer such info will help me retire potential risk before implementing my first switching power supply design. And I'll be very appreciated for your every input.

Thanks in advances.

Best regards,
bittware

Re: What should I pay attention to for applying switching po

Treat the switching power supply like any supply. Proper grounding and decoupling with both bulk (at the supply input) and high frequency capacitors at each IC is the first consideration. If needed use ferrite bead inductors (or even small value resistors to reduce ringing) at the supply input of sensitive circuits between two low ESR ceramic capacitors. If your switching supply is very noisy use capacitor - inductor - capacitor filtering at its output. All decoupling capacitors should have low ESR at the highest harmonic of the switching frequency that you expect to find. If the current that your circuit draws is not steady calculate the bulk capacitors with the load regulation that you need. Seperate physically the power supply with some distance on the PCB from any sensitive circuits and lines carrying sensitive low voltage/high impedance signals and if neccesary put ground plane/lines between the power supply and the rest of the board. Like in most cases the most important issue is the distribution of ground.

bittware

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Please tell us what do you understand for sensitive analog environment..
For medical applications forget it, you can use it.
Please explain to us the full scenario

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…