Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What should be my first PIC or PICs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gamersat678

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I know this has probably been asked a thousand times but as a beginner I'm completely lost on this stuff and you guys are my only hope (google only gets you so far). Due to inexperience about Microcontrollers I decided I'm going to buy a PICKit2 Starter Kit ($50 hurts but it won't break the bank). What pics should I buy to use with it(I eventually want to build a voltmeter with one of these pics). Btw I'm ordering my stuff from digikey.
Thanks.

Try PIC16F873A or any pic16f series PICs. Then go for higher performance PICs like 18f,dsPIC etc.

Which compiler r u using. First you have to install Mplab it is available with stater kit CD. You can select any of the following compilers.

1. Mplab C18 (But you can't use it with PIC16 MCs).
2. CCS
3. Hi-tech C (I think the lite version maybe available with Pickit 2 starter kit)
4. MikroC / Mikro Basic etc.

If u have any doubt just post it.
Good Luck...

Right now I'm planning on using the demo Picbasic Pro. Is there a demo version of mickrobasic (limitations?)? I program in Realbasic (also did Visual basic 6) on the comp so I figure I should use a language (Basic) that I'm familiar with for Microcontrollers.

Hi,

Well you have made a good decision in going for the Pickit2, its the best programmer I ever had.

The only thing I could suggest is also look at the Pickit2 Debugger kit as well as the Starter kit - think they are both the same price.

You can, obviously, do degugging directly with that kit although the chip is soldered to the board and cannot be removed, where as the Starter kit does have a plug in chip, it can do debugging but only if you buy extra parts which is a bit of a pain.
( debuggiing - is where Mplab runs the code in the target chip and allows you to see and control every instruction, step by step, very handy but not essential while you are learning )

I would suggest you just buy those for now, although simple boards, you can do a lot with either, both in learning from the tutorials supplied and by adding on a few of your own bits to those boards, either by direct soldering or via a breadboard.

Although they have different chips on those boards - both have Analogue inputs and will easily handle your voltmeter project.

Not into Basic but believe Swordfish for Pics is also popular.

Hi,

Cannot find a separate list in Microchips site, but if you download and install the latest MPLAB, which you need to do anyway, then you can see the list here -
C:/ProgramFiles/Microchip/MPLABIDE/Readmes/DeviceSupport.htm

Note that the other programmers seem to do a lot more chips but many of them are obselete types and not ones you will ever want to use.
The PK2 does all the popular diy ones.

Hi gamersat678,
I recommend you use mikroBASIC. I found it very helpful, especially the internal library routines.
There is a demo version. You can use everything just as the original licensed version except a 2k program word limit.
For mikroBASIC, you don't need MPLAB.
Tahmid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back