Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What r the responsibilities of field Application Engineer

Status
Not open for further replies.

adityakant

Banned
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello All,
What r the responsibilities of field Application Engineer?What is the basic salary expected in this field......

How will be the future i'e is there any growth in this field..

Thanking u all....

Re: What r the responsibilities of field Application Enginee

Hi Adithya,

The responsibilities of a FAE is as follows:

1) You have to provide technical support for the customer of your company about the product you are selling.
2) After the designers are done with their job, the next step is to give support for the product after it is sold by the marketing and sales people.
3) you'll have to do a bit of travelling.
4) you will have some resposibilities like preparing "technical proposal" documents.

Yes definetely there is a growth and furture in this field .............although you should consult more people around you.

Do'nt expect anything .................. Hardwork is the only key to success ..........

one more thing:
You will learn how to communicate with people, that is very important, you can not learn that much if you are pure engineer.

Hi adityakant,

I was a FAE for a couple of years for one of the top disti's. All of the for mentioned is correct. Although the travel can be more than just a little. You do develop people skills which can be a very good thing for engineers as we can be a bit anti-social. I had to support six inside sales people and six outside sales. You would be the technical arm of your companies sales. The good news is that you get to talk to other engineers. The bad news is that you have to get your information from non technical people most of the time. It can be lots of fun and you get trained on all the new up and coming electronic stuff ahead of everyone else. After a couple years of this though I found I missed design and went back to it. I did learn a great deal while I was there though.

Good luck

Let me know if I can answer any specific question you might have.

dfullmer

Hi,

I just found this thread while looking for info on a Field Application Engineer job profile I have recently applied for. I have completed my post graduation in 2009 and since then worked for a company that initially hired me to work in RF design but later on as the project got shelved, I was moved to embedded software in a few months. I am wondering if I will be considered positively for the RF field application engineer profile I have applied for. Also, I'd be grateful if someone could throw some light on the career progression of the profile in terms of the growth prospects etc. Also, is it possible to shift into the design side after a few years as an application engineer? Thanks.

Hi adityakant,

I was a FAE for a couple of years for one of the top disti's. All of the for mentioned is correct. Although the travel can be more than just a little. You do develop people skills which can be a very good thing for engineers as we can be a bit anti-social. I had to support six inside sales people and six outside sales. You would be the technical arm of your companies sales. The good news is that you get to talk to other engineers. The bad news is that you have to get your information from non technical people most of the time. It can be lots of fun and you get trained on all the new up and coming electronic stuff ahead of everyone else. After a couple years of this though I found I missed design and went back to it. I did learn a great deal while I was there though.

Good luck

Let me know if I can answer any specific question you might have.

dfullmer

Hi dfullmer, I have very good exp in Circuit design and Coding, now I want to enter "Field application Engineer" field. Will my experience help in my new job and also what is the growth in FAE :?:??

-Sunil

Hey dfullmer I wanted to ask you if you can suggest me some companies name.which offer this type of job it will be really helpful .
Thank you very much!!

Some of the responsibilities of FAE are as mentioned below

Responsibilities of FAE
- Should support the sales team to meet their targets. For instance, should travel with the Sales Engineer to the customer location with proper strategy. If the meeting is w.r.t a requirement of a new Hardware component then the FAE should have enough technical information about that part so that he can convince the customer to use it.
- Should work on the customer projects in the their locations. For ex, if the customer is using a microcontroller from your semiconductor company (suggested by you/other colleagues) and they are facing some issues in it then FAE is the one who has to solve it and keep the project running. Else in the worst case the client may turn towards other MCU from other vendor which will lead to a potential loss to your company.
- Should be up to date in the core nature of work which may include software tools, hardware components, development kits etc. For ex, if you are a FAE for a Semiconductor company (or distributors of this company) which manufactures memory chips then you need to have detailed information on each chip’s part number, specifications and features. Also it will be great if you have some informations of the rival company’s chips too. This will help you to explain better to the clients during demonstrations on the product.
- Prepare and maintain the list of running projects of the clients. This is important because FAE’s one of the primary responsibility is to make sure that the prototype projects of the customers are turned into a final product. It is only then your company will start making profits since the customers will start requiring more components/tools when they enter into the mass production stage.
- Need to take part actively in the research and development in the design centers to develop reference models for customer convenience purpose. This is because some of the customers need a prototype/working model of some of your products so that they get convinced.
- Prepare white papers/techical documents/application notes/presentations on the products. This is because the customer mayn’t have all the information of your product. So such documents can be used by them as a starter kit in developing there projects.
- Should have good communication skills to impress the customers by giving proper demo on the products. Also the FAE should quickly adapt to the work environment. This is helpful when the FAE is at the customer location and working with them in a project. He/She should adapt in the team in such a way that the project is not affected.
- Attend trainings conducted by the partners and acquire certifications. For ex, If Qualcomm is the semiconductor partner for your distribution company then you need to keep yourself up to date with their latest chipsets.
- Should be capable to deliver under pressure.

Source - **broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back