Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What power does fan draw at vin's other than nominal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cupoftea

Advanced Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
The Papst, 624HH fan,

We intend to run it with 30V input (even though its quoted for 18-28V)

Papst 624HH fan

What power will it draw when its Vin is 30V? Will it spin faster at 30V than the nominal 24V?
Will its lifetime be reduced?

Hi,

I doubt they will give any information for operation beyond specified voltage range.

And I can only recommend not to operate them outside specification.
Dropping 2V should not be a big problem.

Klaus

Well, you can't figure incremental torque (hence current)
without some idea whether airflow is and will remain
laminar (drag proportional to speed), or is / will go
turbulent (square law or higher order). The bare minimum
would be an extrapolation of the available load vs line
data, to the max planned fan supply.

Why not buy one, try one, read and record? Then test to
fail at 10% higher than plan max over the weekend, the
week, then start ramping more until the smoke comes out.
You still know nothing about production consistency but
you might get out of school early if it breaks easy.

Thanks, it says 28V is its max.....if we ran it at 28V, woudl it draw the same power as at 24V?....or does dick_freebird's kind answer also apply to that? (drag etc)

Why don't you ask the manufacturer??????
Our volumes are too small

Thanks, it says 28V is its max.....if we ran it at 28V, woudl it draw the same power as at 24V?....or does dick_freebird's kind answer also apply to that? (drag etc)

Our volumes are too small
Nonsense.

if you worked for me and that was your reason for not doing your job, you wouldn’t work for me much longer.

To answer the question yourself, connect any available DC fan to a lab supply and observe speed and current consumption versus voltage.

Why don't you ask the manufacturer??????
Thanks, i have contacted them now. Hopefully they will tell, but they have a lot of Apps info on their website and nothing about power consumption vs voltage input.

I would hazard a guess that power consumption goes up at least linearly with voltage for the 624HH. As to operating at 30V for an 18-28V fan, i have a funny feeling they are going to just blank this one, unfortunately.

As a first order estimation, consider speed and current to rise linear with supply voltage and power consumption squared.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back