Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What pcb track width size to use? Urgent !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunny55

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
My ic have pad width of 0.28mm and its smd type. My question is what pcb track size i need to use to supply 5A as output current?
Can the track width be bigger than the ic pad width of 0.28mm? Pls help. The input voltage is around 15V.

Thanks .

Is that IC constructed to support 5A ?

You can use other side of PCB for increasing heatsink and square area of tracks, plus you can add more soldering material on track.

What particular IC is involved in this ?

Last edited:

Yes, ic can support 5A n there is a thermal pad in center for heat dissipation but my requirement is i have to use only single sided pcb .

Its a mppt ic and the co suggested width of 2.8mm for 5A.Thats way too big for the pad right?

Its BQ24650 from TI.

Page 25 in datasheet describe PCB Layout, accept that in your design.

I dont think that you will have some problem. You need stronger tracks for MosFETs, D1, L, Rsr,....

Reactions: Sunny55 and FvM

FvM

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

Sunny55

The important point is that the high current does not flow through any of the BQ24650 chip's pins, only through other components.

Reactions: Sunny55 and FvM

FvM

Sunny55

Basically i can use track width that is same as pad width of 0.28mm as i will use some jumpers that can carry 5A?

Let me make it clear, the mentioned pcb is actually just the breakout board that will be used on breadboard for testing with other components . Jumper wires capable of handling 5A will be use to connect ic with the other components. This is going to work well?

IC alone dont have problem with high current, periphermal parts have. Use stronger wires if you have, and avoid to pass higher currents through breadboard, 5A for testing on shorter time intervals not problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back