Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What kind of chip is used in my circuit board?

Status
Not open for further replies.

theateist

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have a toy car with buttons that produces sounds and music. It stopped working and I decided to try fixing it. There is a board with a chip. I used a multimeter to test voltage where the load speaker is connected when any button is pressed. It was always zero. I checked the load speaker and it works. I checked the inputs to the chip and they are good - I can see voltage changes when a button is pressed. So, my conclusion is that the chip is dead. Can you help me to figure out what kind of chip is this? Below are the images of the board:
20210304_220010.jpg
20210304_220107.jpg

Hi,

the chip is covered by the black blob (epoxy) to protect the chip as it is a chip on board solution (COB). Here the chip is not housed in a package, instead the silicon is directly bonded to the PCB. Even if you get rid of the epoxy you would not be able to identify the chip as there is no part number on it, its only the silicon.

BR

If you removed the glob you might find a part
number (more common on older parts, later
the companies drifted toward only a mask
series number and maybe their logo, which
could still lead to a P/N if you dug deeper or
had connections inside the mfr to cross-
reference "TA56789" to "Phillips NE555"
or whatever).

If it was a custom chip then you may be
further out of luck, less info (if any) available
due to proprietary blah blah blah.