Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is wrong in this amplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.

awan

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi;

I am trying to simulate this in HSPICE. If i find my DC operating point, then the current ID is around 8mA and transistor is in saturation.

element 0:m1
model 0:cmosn
region Saturati
id 8.7958m

But when i give a very small AC, then rather than amplification, the simulation shows voltage and current dropping. I am sure there is something wrong as to the way i am entering the design. Can someone please help me out here.

Thanks in advance.

.OPTIONS LIST NODE POST
.OP
.opt post
VDD 1 0 DC 2.5
RL 1 2 140
M1 2 3 0 0 CMOSN w=40u l=.25u
CL 2 0 1p
CIN 4 3 .1
RS 5 4 1000
VIN 5 0 AC .01u
R1 1 3 1100
R2 3 0 1400
.AC DEC 10 1K 1000MEG

Added after 1 hours 54 minutes:

Hi;

I have a small signal AC source that has a series resistance and then the decoupling capacitor. If i remove the series resistance, then the gain is as per my calculation. But as soon as i include the series resistance, the gain drops below 1 for all frequency. As per my knowledge, the series resistance shouldnt have an effect on the gain. Any suggestions?

Added after 28 minutes:

Okay, so i realise that its due to the biasing resistors and the series resistance with the small signal AC source. So, now i am trying to bias it using a current mirror. But there is still no improvement.

What are the reasons if this doesnt work with the current resistance. What parameters should i be looking for? Should i decrease my Gain current.

AC magnitude should be 1 for ur input
as AC Gain is to be measured for unitty ac Mag. For lesser values it will always show less than 1. Dont know the reason though!
U should give input amplitude as 1u or whatever required but keep the ac mag '1' ALWAYS.
N yes by reducing Id gain willl increase but there is nothing wrong with ur circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.