Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is voiced and unvoiced speech?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rat_race

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
what is voiced speech ?!

hi everyone

would someone please explain me explicitely that what is "voiced speech" and what is its difference to "unvoiced speech" ? i mean wull, speech is produced by voice, i dont understand it anyway !

thnx

Re: what is voiced speech ?!

This is the technic of analyzing the speech.
This is accomplished by dividing a speech signal of your choice into short frames and by computing the average power of each frame. The speech in a particular frame is then declared to be voiced if its average power exceeds a threshold level that is chosen by the user. Otherwise it is declared unvoiced.

BR,
G. Shrinivas Rao

Another definition is if the sound is made by the vocal cords or by air being forced through the mouth cavity with the tongue and lips shaped to accent a tone range.

thanx but can u make it a bit more clear ? infact if it is as u just said then is this a true inference ?

vowels = voiced speech Consonants = unvoiced speech

tell me if i am wrong

You cannot make this distinction. The word "why" has vocal chord sounds on the w. The word "word" has vocal chord sounds on the r.

Status
Not open for further replies.