Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is used in digital scale to measure object weight?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryu2112

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Digital Scale

I was wondering, what device is used in a digital scale to measure the weight of an object. (same precision in scales used in chemistry labs). Are pressure sensors used? I am having a hard time finding these sensors. Any help would be appreciated. thanks

Re: Digital Scale

The technical term for these sensors is "load cell" and you can do a search on the web and find hundreds of suppliers for them.

thanks for the helpful replies.

i've been trying to look for load cells which are capable of weighing small objects like coins, but all I can find is from kilograms to pounds.

Try this link:
**broken link removed**
It is about subminiature load cells ..
Reards,
IanP

Has several method using in digital scale. Can separate in two different groups :
1. direct measurement
2. indirect measurement

First group has a more used, in this group include Load cells with tension sensor, load cells with quartz sensor, Load cells with piezo sensors. Tension sensors using tension element, this is plate with very thinly platinum resistors, when this plate is bend, has change the resistor geometry and the result is a change of resistance. In quartz sensor is using very similar effect, but the sensor change the frequency.

In the second group includes many different position measuring sensors. This is not a special sensor for measuring weight. This measurement method is using when is need to transformate mechanical or electro-mechanical scale to electronic scale. In this scale is used standard principal with ballast, and sensor measure the movement and position. This method is not a very accurate.

Have one more method with seldom use, this is electromagnetic balance method, or electrostatic method. This method is using in some laboratory and scientific scale.

if you want see more information, see links below, sorry but now i can't find links for the quartz sensors.

h**p://www.hbm.com
h**p://www.revere.nl/index/indexp.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back