Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is this component called ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xmen_xwk

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
whatsthat.png

Its not a diode, its not a capacitor. Is it a resistor or something else ?

It's difficult to be sure without knowing where it connects in the circuit but the package with indented ends is usually an LED (not likely if it's black with writing on it!) or a fuse.

Brian.

The question could be answered easier if you tell what the usage of the RAW signal is. A LED won't have a type mark printed on it, so it's more likely a fuse, possibly a PTC fuse.

Checking the part with an ohmmeter for resistance/forward voltage (in both polarities) gives also additional info.

From the second photograph it is clearly a fuse. 'RAW' is the unregulated power input, it passes through the fuse, a protection diode then a voltage regulator before going to the VCC pin on the big IC.

Brian.

My bet is that it is a 5V TVS ESD protection diode similar to ESD9M5.0ST5G

The chip shape has the earmarks for low inductance and low capacitance.

Also the right side is close to and connected to ground, while left side goes up off the picture.

All the symptoms of ideal TVS layout..

From what I've seen the component is a fuse or PTC. It is in series with the input reverse voltage protection diode.

I've tried to get some real data on this module, the Arduino Pro Mini, but I've found that there is little electric data available. There is however several versions of this module, both with and without the RAW voltage input protection.

My bet is that it is a 5V TVS ESD protection diode similar to ESD9M5.0ST5G

The chip shape has the earmarks for low inductance and low capacitance.

Also the right side is close to and connected to ground, while left side goes up off the picture.

All the symptoms of ideal TVS layout..

It's not a diode, the current passes through both sides.

Status
Not open for further replies.