Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is this circuit used for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tc1220

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I encountered a circuit called PWPM (pulse width and pulse position modulation )generator clock receiver (RX) in the paper.
I am wondering how does this circuit work? (From the context of the paper, it should be a limiter, but i'm not sure yet)
The circuit is attached

The inputs in+ in- may be two outphased signals

You can think it as a fullly-dfifferential amplifier. ( if M3X,M4X W/L less than M3,M4)

In PWM, I think it's used as a comparator.

Thanks for your reply.
But the problem is that the upper transistors are NMOS instead of PMOS, the input impedence of M3 is very small, how can it be an amplifier?

VEry interesing. It does work as a low gain stage. Is it being used as a sort of a level shifter. Did you ever simulate it vs using pmos and seeing the difference.

Sure. i got confused when NMOS, the waveform is really strange... It is reasonable when PMOS since it is a differential comparator with latch.

Status
Not open for further replies.