Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is the value of this capacitor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

papunblg

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Can anybody please help?

This is a Box type Metalized film capacitor. Color Black . Upon the capacitor written

El-Ci-Ar
KT 11
01 M 1KV-

No decimal point given. Is it .01mfd or 0.1mfd ? (No help from datasheet).

It is used in a circuit which is using a Triac to control a motor. The capacitor is used before a choke as low pass filter to control RFI. Most of the cases , in similar circuits, 0.1mfd caps are used. But in this case, the circuit is not giving desired result as before after replacing the above capacitor with a 0.1mfd cap.

So, what makes you think this cap is faulty to begin with? Assume the cap IS .1; you replaced it with a different .1 and your circuit doesn't work? MAYBE the cap is not your problem....

0.1 µF 1kV is quite large, 33 mm length. In so far it can be easily recognized.

I don't belive however that triac malfunction has to do with filter capacitor.

Thanks Very Very Much FvM for giving the clue. The physical size dimension of my capacitor matches with .01mfd caps as given in datasheet.

The problem is that triac is working. The motor recently giving a loud humming noise. Individually all parts except the capacitor of that control circuit are checked individually and are OK. The motor runs without hum when there is no controller attached. I will try a new .01mfd cap now.

Triac circuits may be unsuitable to control inductive loads, e.g. motors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back