Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

what is the use of uln2003 ic

Status
Not open for further replies.

gkm1

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
uln2003 ic

hi i want to know the purpose of IC ULN2003 in a solar cell tracking circuit

uln2003

gkm1 said:

Perhaps if you upload a schematic it may be possible to comment. the chip is an seven Darlington arrays. may be they might have used for relay drives or motor drive if the panel is driven for catching Sun.

uln2003 schematic

mvs sarma said:
gkm1 said:

Perhaps if you upload a schematic it may be possible to comment. the chip is an seven Darlington arrays. may be they might have used for relay drives or motor drive if the panel is driven for catching Sun.
can ULN 2003A be used for 12v out put??? what is the procedure?

what is uln2003

2003a will sink up to 60v? @500ma per output, subject to total package dissapation limit. This means that the load must be connected to +, up to max volts, and is grounded via 2003 when an input applied, usually active high logic output 3-5v. Google for data sheet. Possibly used for stepper motor driver in this application.

ic uln2003

GrandAlf said:
2003a will sink up to 60v? @500ma per output, subject to total package dissapation limit. This means that the load must be connected to +, up to max volts, and is grounded via 2003 when an input applied, usually active high logic output 3-5v. Google for data sheet. Possibly used for stepper motor driver in this application.
chip sinks current but not Voltage :idea:

working of uln2003

ULN IC are basically current amplifiers that are used to interface motor or LED's to controller. Motor needs more current to drive the rotor. The current at port pins are very less around 25mA. So we use current amplifier to drive the motor.

uln2003 working

IT IS DRIVER IC.

uln2003ic

GrandAlf said:

I am using ULN 2003A to drive 7 segment gaint display(common anode) with each segment in series of 5 LEDs + resistor 100 ohm, I am using this chip to drive segments, next to controller and for display's common I am using 1015 transistor on bias 10K ohm resistor, I connected pin no. 9 of ULN 2003A to 12 V and emmitor of transistor also to 12V but it is not working in my circuit I dont know why??? is there any problem in this circui??? How much current 1015 can suport??? plz help.

regards

working of uln2003a

sn_burki said:
GrandAlf said:

I am using ULN 2003A to drive 7 segment gaint display(common anode) with each segment in series of 5 LEDs + resistor 100 ohm, I am using this chip to drive segments, next to controller and for display's common I am using 1015 transistor on bias 10K ohm resistor, I connected pin no. 9 of ULN 2003A to 12 V and emmitor of transistor also to 12V but it is not working in my circuit I dont know why??? is there any problem in this circui??? How much current 1015 can suport??? plz help.

regards
best is to check with reference to datasheet . however, you may post a small scchematic for better visualization, and to help further discussion.

uln 2003pin description

Not sure what a 1015 is it PNP. If so sound like you have it right, would require 0 input to switch. Normal would be to use NPN transistor, collector to plus and emitter to display anode. Switch with + input.

uln2003 schematic led

GrandAlf said:
Not sure what a 1015 is it PNP. If so sound like you have it right, would require 0 input to switch. Normal would be to use NPN transistor, collector to plus and emitter to display anode. Switch with + input.
it is A1015?
means it should have been 2SA1015 and it is PNP

Download the datasheet for A1015 from www.alldatasheet.com
Sarma

current amplifier - uln2003

yes it is A1015 pnp transistor but the circuit is not working,, why ??? although everything is right.

uln2003a working

sn_burki said:
yes it is A1015 pnp transistor but the circuit is not working,, why ??? although everything is right.
please upload your schematic!!

application circuit for uln2003

best u can use the ULN 2803.but this is 24v ic.

uln2003 light

You can test your basic circuit by grounding the transistor base on one of your displays and then applying a high input to pins 1-7 on the uln2003. This should light up each segment in turn. If this is ok, you can test the rest of the displays in this manner. If this works, then the fault is whatever you are driving it with. Remember transistors need low inputs and the 2003 needs high.

ic uln2003 datasheet

GrandAlf said:
You can test your basic circuit by grounding the transistor base on one of your displays and then applying a high input to pins 1-7 on the uln2003. This should light up each segment in turn. If this is ok, you can test the rest of the displays in this manner. If this works, then the fault is whatever you are driving it with. Remember transistors need low inputs and the 2003 needs high.
I have done the same checking but I noticed one thing that when i check output from the controller which go to ULN 2003 on logic prob it shows pulses it means that the controller is working but when i check output on ULN 2003 output it is continueously high(logic 1). is it due to I have connect ULN 2003 pin to +5V???

driver ic uln2003

Pin8 = ground
Pin9 = Same + as display anodes (not essential for non inductive loads)
1-7 = Logic inputs 0 or 5v
Normally you would read high through the load on the output pin. If you apply 5v to the appropriate input, the output will ground the load. Your meter may not be fast enough to read pulses. Try a direct 5v on one of the inputs. If you have it corrected right, this should work.

Status
Not open for further replies.