Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

what is the use of delimiters in Control Area Network (CAN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nareshgtr

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
In the CAN there are two delimiters (ACK and CRC). Please can any body explains the what are uses of delimiters in the CAN.
Regards
V. Naresh Kumar

Re: what is the use of delimiters in Control Area Network (C

ACK:
CAN is a multimaster bus protocol and each and every message is broadcast over the bus. If there is a receiver for the message, only that will ACK the messagee (at time of ACK bit), otherwise the sender will know that its message was not received by any node.

CRC
CRC is the checksum for the CAN message to make sure that the bits are propagated properly on the bus and received correctly on the receiver end.

thanks for your reply microkernal
There is acknowledgment slot to ack the receiver. With the addition to this ack slot there is another slot is there i.e. ACKDELIMITER. I want know what is use of ACKDELIMITER.
Regards
V. Naresh Kumar

I believe this is required due to NRZ coding (combined with no bit stuffing) used for CAN.

All other fields in CAN follow the bit stuffing rule (based on 5 consecutive bits of same level).

The fileds that are fixed in length with no bit stuffing have delimiters.
Some other frame types (Besides data & RTR) in CAN that have fixed bits also have delimiters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back