Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is the standard MUX size ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

twonsr

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
The standard MUX size.

Dear all :

if in an inverter :
pmos = 9u/1u , nmos=3u/1u

then in an MUX :
pmos = 9u/1u , nmos=3u/1u

Is the setting correct ? or any method to decide the MUX size ?

thank you

Re: The standard MUX size.

depends of your scheme(you can do a mux in many variants)...post your scheme and we can do a small calcul of your components

my circuit just uses a mux as a switch.

send one of two signal to a comparator's input.

I review my textbook but I can't find any example for a mux's size.

in the picture you some example of mux...just tell us witch of this you use ..and the calcul will be no problem

Hi twolevel2002,

If my understanding is correct, you need a CMOS switch for your comparator.
In this case the key point is to make sure there is low distortion and acceptable delay. As a rule of thumb, equal size with minimum length is a good choice. After some calculations/simulations, you will find the optimal size for NMOS & PMOS.

Hope it helps:)

regards,
jordan76

jordan76 said:
Hi twolevel2002,

If my understanding is correct, you need a CMOS switch for your comparator.
In this case the key point is to make sure there is low distortion and acceptable delay. As a rule of thumb, equal size with minimum length is a good choice. After some calculations/simulations, you will find the optimal size for NMOS & PMOS.

Hope it helps:)

regards,
jordan76

From real life experience, if you want to have close to equal rise and fall times, the ratio is from 2:1 to 3:1 in favour of the pmos. Which means at the same L the W of the PMOS should be between 2 and 3 times biger than the NMOS

i believe you will not drive significant loads with your mux, in which case, if i were u, i would use the minimum size permitted in your process for both n and p in the mux to allow higher integration.

lastdance said:
i believe you will not drive significant loads with your mux, in which case, if i were u, i would use the minimum size permitted in your process for both n and p in the mux to allow higher integration.

that's true. You'll have to use something else after it. My point was only for a regular inverter type. Anyway, I am not sure what exactly the application is in his case

Added after 1 minutes:

also depends if it is analog or digital mux (i guess it's digital)

Refer Logical Effort by David Harris .. Excellent book... For calculating sizes of gates for any design

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back