Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is the Software Defined Radio (SDR)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eng.Electronic

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hey Guys :
What is SDR"Software Defined radio"?
And what is its importance at the Mobile Network ?
Thanks In Advance...

Re: SDR

Hi,

SDR is trying to push the ADC in RX path and DAC in Tx path towards the Antenna As possible.
and implement the rest of the modulation and coding in configurable system "FPGA or DSP"
This will help in Mobile network in the following way
when the mobile Device move from the coverage area of some system -GSM for example- to the coverage area of another system -CDMA for example- the Mobile set will detect the system used in the new area and re-configure itself to work with the new standard.
So you will have a universal system Mobile hand set which code work with multi system and make hand over between them.

you can check GNU SDR for more info

Salam
Hossam Alzomor
www(.)i-g(.)org

Hello all,

SDR means not only pushing ADC / DAC as near as possible to the antenna and doing the signal processing by means of FW/SW! Obviously this is one of the objective (but I think that it will take several years/decades to see an implementation of this type for higher communication frequencies).
Great efforts are done by research group also to define a standard SW infrastructure for the development of SW components that (in theory!!!) could allow the exchange of components that are able to run on different HW platforms just like common PC software.
About this topic you can find on the web a lot of material searching for SCA - SW Component Architecture which defines a standard for the Sw development of SDR components.

Bye
Mowgli

SA ,

And What SDR projects recommended at Telecommunication/Netrworking area ?

I am currently thinking at implementation Wi-MAX over SDR , Trying to do a co-site Radio with the exist 2G/3G Network...But i have no idea about that

Where can i start ?!! Which book at SDR ? Which Kit ?
is this suitable as a Graduation project ?
then what will be required to do this co-site solution ?

Best Regards,
Amr El-Fakhrany

I usually do not recommend implementation as academic project.
you can work on sdr using Dr. Mitola book. Software defined radio, An objec oriented ...

Asslamo 3likom AMR

What you are proposing as a graduation project is vey big project for big companies and still under research up to my knowledge.
you can check the Gnu Radio website
https://www.gnu.org/software/gnuradio/

They have a board which can support there system
https://www.ettus.com/

Salam
Hossam Alzomor
www(.)i-g(.)org

hi
actually sdr is an innovative upcoming technology, which aims at developing
"multiband, multimode transceiver (mobile) systems."
mutiband - operating on different frequency band (800M, 900M,1900M)..
multimode - operating over different different air interfaces.
So your sdr transceiver will be capable of having adaptive intelligent transmission - depending on channel characteristics, and air interfce avaialable at that instant, it will use particular air interface.
For accomplising multiple air interfaces - ie diff freq of operation, ..
they move towards reonfigurable, software programmable hardware, high speed digitisation at RF (using superconductivity..),.... which leads to almost digitisation very nearer to antenna.
You can learn SDR scenario from "SDR - Enabling technologies" - Walter Tuttlebee . You can download above book and more books about SDR from www.gigapedia.org - free ebook club.

Vanu system is working on SDR. refer www.vanu.com

Status
Not open for further replies.