Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is the RTOS and how to use it in 8051?

Status
Not open for further replies.

buts101

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
What is RTOS?

hello guys

please tell me what is RTOS...where can i use it...please refer me some project using RTOS in 8051

thank you

Re: What is RTOS?

buts101 said:
hello guys

please tell me what is RTOS...where can i use it...please refer me some project using RTOS in 8051

thank you

Hello,

RTOS expands as REAL-TIME OPERATING SYSTEM.

Required for real world applications, which require prompt decision and/or action to be taken,on occurrence of some internal/external event (for eg. stack overflow,temperature or time boundary being broken)

The feature that makes and distinguishes RTOS from desktop OS is that the KERNEL of RTOS is preemptable i.e., it can be preempted by the control system of the device or application hosting the RTOS.This is not possible in desktop OS.

Concept of REAL-TIME is relative to each and every application.It could be nanoseconds/microseconds for a aerospace/defense application and seconds/minutes for printer device.

Some examples of RTOSes are VxWorks,RTLinux,µCOS,Nucleus

Please refer attached pdf files for more elaborate explanation.

himanshusharma said:
The feature that makes and distinguishes RTOS from desktop OS is that the KERNEL of RTOS is preemptable i.e., it can be preempted by the control system of the device or application hosting the RTOS.This is not possible in desktop OS.
Where did you read this crap ?

Indeed one of the most important RTOS features enabling real-time operation is its preemptiveness, but there are also "Desktop operating systems" having this feature.

Have you ever heard of the TRU64 UNIX ( formerly DEC-OSF ) from DEC ( currently HP ) ? On installation time it may be configured to be fully real-time OS with preemptive kernel. And it works in many real-time industrial contol applications like technological process control, telecomm, etc. ALPHA Chip ( EV7 for instance ) has got special features supporting real-time operation as well.
I belive there are also some other OS implementations ( some Linux clones, QNX ) which are "Desktop" as you said, but are real-time through and through.

Regards, yego

An RTOS is a manager of resources .that can be electronic,electromecanical or mechanical .And is capable of respond in due TIME to the required proper action that such event requires .The type of system and how fast it needs to be is only defined by the particuliar application . Examples are thouthands. It can be an aircraft fly by wire or even a DVD player ..etc

yego said:
himanshusharma said:

Indeed one of the most important RTOS features enabling real-time operation is its preemptiveness, but there are also "Desktop operating systems" having this feature.

Have you ever heard of the TRU64 UNIX ( formerly DEC-OSF ) from DEC ( currently HP ) ? On installation time it may be configured to be fully real-time OS with preemptive kernel. And it works in many real-time industrial contol applications like technological process control, telecomm, etc. ALPHA Chip ( EV7 for instance ) has got special features supporting real-time operation as well.
I belive there are also some other OS implementations ( some Linux clones, QNX ) which are "Desktop" as you said, but are real-time through and through.

Regards, yego

Hello yego,

Thanks for the information that there exists Desktop OS like TRU64 UNIX whose kernel is preemptable.
Whatever I have posted was as per the information I had,till then.

Regards

for your information linux 2.6 kernel is an preemptive one! :idea:

himanshusharma said:
yego said:
himanshusharma said:

Regards, yego

Hello yego,

Thanks for the information that there exists Desktop OS like TRU64 UNIX whose kernel is preemptable.
Whatever I have posted was as per the information I had,till then.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.