Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is the role of a schematic engineer and PCB design engineer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddinesh894

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

i have assigned to work in new project, i am positioned as design Engineer.
Now i am training in schematics and in ALLEGRO.

What is the role of a schematic engineer and PCB design engineer. and what qualification do i need? and what should i learn ? Did i have scope.

Re: design Engineer Role

To be frank.. PCB engineering is not an engineering job till you are not doing on very high speed level and considering signal integrity;
As a schematic design engineer you can move toward design engineering by gaining knowledge of relevent field and this will be much better career path.

Thanks Umesh,

You want me to learn highspeed level like in DDR, USB ethernet etc and what about signal integirty did is want to learn seperatly.

Right now in my team they asked me to support for Schematic engg. what i need to learn. It means do i want to do circuit design or the given circuit drawing in schematic tool and importing in PCB tool?

What i have to learn in design engg

You should concentrate on circuit design. Keep on updating your knowledge/exposure about varius circuits/designs.

To be frank.. PCB engineering is not an engineering job till you are not doing on very high speed level and considering signal integrity;

To be honest I don't really think so. When you are doing an analog design there is lot of engineering when developing the PCB. The state of the art PCB comes with an expert knowledge on the schematic of course. So, I suggest paying attention to both circuit and PCB designs.

Umesh
To design boards that are cost effective and work, you have to have a knowledge of PCB fabrication tecniques, assembly, etc etc. I suggest you aqaint yourself with the C1000 range of basic documents related to PCB design and manufacture.
Your comment is patronizing towards PCB designers and uninformed.

Hey Guys,
I am sorry, I did not mean to prove any superioriy.
When some one asked me where to start his career, I gave him a suggession. I am agree that PCB designing is a seperate field, and people needs a differrent type of expertize due to shrinking size and increasing frequecy. I made past comment, as being in hardware design field will give a edge to be more towards product and system understanding and thus might offer you more opportunities.

:grin:
Sorry for being harsh in my reply, but I had just had a similar view put forward to me regarding PCB design.
I do think though that PCB design is not taken as seriously as it should be in the electronics world, but hopefully this is changing!

HI Marce,

Please advise, how does the PCB in electronics world changing....

thanks,
Din

PCB layout is something that is done differently based on company. in some cases, a non-engineer will perform the layout functions based on inputs from engineers. At other places, mechanical engineers will do the layout. At others, electrical engineers.

PCB layout has mainly changed in terms of high speed busses, and mixed signal designs. more often, high speed serial links are used (SATA, SGMII, XAUI, SRIO, PCIe, etc...) Likewise, memory busses still present some challenges (QDR/DDR2/3). Obviously device geometries continue to get smaller with BGA and chipscale packages becoming more popular.

we require some enginer for redisigin and redevolpement of ddr ram/mother board some usb product
for that what qulification and other requirment
we want bulid that type of lab ,
what thing we require machinery other equipment other raw material
other help requir
regards

As a schematic design engineer you can move toward design engineering by gaining knowledge of relevent field and this will be much better career path.

lol

even when running at slower speeds, say 33 MHz, your rise times are still in the 1 ns range. you must take into consideration hundreds of different variables when routing signals, designing the board stackup, termination resistors, capacitive loading, and signal integrity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back