Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is the relationship between the size of a capacitor and its rated voltage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gonadgranny

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
What is the relationship between the physical size of a capacitor and its rated voltage? Thanks

It's all about dielectric strength. Smaller size caps have much less dielectric, thus the voltage required to punch through the dielectric is much lower. So, with everything else being equal, a smaller capacitor will have a lower rated voltage than the larger capacitor.

I see, thanks! Would it be possible to use a ceramic capacitors in this instance, to reduce the noise in my mp3 module as they are a lot smaller...

I see, thanks! Would it be possible to use a ceramic capacitors in this instance, to reduce the noise in my mp3 module as they are a lot smaller...

Well, you first have to indentify what kind of noise you have, then determine what value of capacitor you need, then see if that capacitor is available in smaller sizes. Remember that most of the higher dielectric materials vary considerably over temperature, so you'll have to take your temperature operating range into account.

Hi,

Capacitor size:
For a dedicated dielectric the size is almost propotional to the stored energy:
Energy = 0.5 × C × U × U.

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back