Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is the relation between wavelength and pulse width and what is FWHM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatma1000

Banned
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
basec question

what is the relation between wavelengt and puls width and what is FWHM
regards

question

If you are trying to say pulse width that is visible on say Oscilloscope....
Then there is no relation...the relation is with frequency not pulse width...i dont think theres any other relationship

question

FWHM=full width half maximum ,,,as far as i could remember in the relation of power(intensity) vs wavelength (frequency) u get the difrence between the two values of wavelength(freq.) at which the power(intensity) is equal to half the maximum value ,actually i am not really sure so try to check it again.
regards

Re: question

Hello,

In the optical community it is always something of a debate at to what you define as a pulse width. While many people subscribe to the Full width of the pulse at half of the maximum peak others will define their applications puls width as measured at the (1/e) points. My self I have always been in the FWHM camp. However I can see where others would want to drop the measurement down to where the signal is still very present at the 1/e points. This does have the effect of making the pulse width larger than it would be measured at FWHM. If the pulse is gausian in nature this can be a big difference. If the pulse is more of a "top hat" or square pulse this will be of little difference in pulse width. Like most things it depends on your application.

Good luck

dfullmer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back