Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is the purpose of a 0-ohm resistor placed in a circuit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: 0-ohm resistor

Sometimes it’s used like a 'bypass' or like a fuse. Probably it’s more simple to separate the circuit in different areas in order to test it separately...
So a 0 ohm resistor has no influence in the circuit.

popoyboys

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
0-ohm resistor

Sometime they use 0ohm register in the schemetic for checking the current of a certain part of the circuit.

popoyboys

popoyboys said:
test_out said:
Sometime they use 0ohm register in the schemetic for checking the current of a certain part of the circuit.

For checking, why not use a testpoint instead?

how will you measure current using testpoint ?

popoyboys

popoyboys said:
what is the purpose of a 0-ohm resistor placed in a circuit?
what is its significance compared to a circuit without it?

some times limited jumpers used in single side pcb (Government and some special application ), so in that jumper place u can use 0-ohm ressiter.

:D

0-ohm resistor

0 ohm resistor cost less then jumper and instalation time smaller

I use 0Ohm resistors a lot of separate my design into sections. If I want to bring a design online incrementally then I'll simply use a 0Ohm resistor and no-pop it from the factory. Then, as I test the board in my lab, I simply solder in a 0Ohm resistor to complete the circuit and bring the new section online.

I've also seen them used (though I've not used them this way myself) in analog circuits, particularly filters, where the same basic PCB will be used with separate filters. The 0Ohm resistor can be used as a jumper to enable/disable a particular filter in the design.

popoyboys

0-ohm resistor

0 ohms are mostly used as shorts i.e. place holders.
Say you are not sure if AC coupling is going to work in your circuit you place a 0 ohm in the place of the cap and run the chip in DC coupling mode. Then if you want to try AC coupling you can replace the 0 ohm with the AC coupling cap and try out that system. It is not used
for current measurement. a small value like .3 ohm is usually used for current measurement. You can measure the voltage across the .3 and you know the R so ohms law wil give you the I.

popoyboys

To serve as an inexpensive jumper or prorammable switch.

DIP switches are pretty expensive and bulky and unreliable.

popoyboys

rizwanspirit said:
To serve as an inexpensive jumper or prorammable switch.

DIP switches are pretty expensive and bulky and unreliable.

Oh yes

Hi,

In case if you are not sure whether you need to put a resistor or not, then provide a place for it. Later if you know put a particular R value otherwise 0 ohm.

If you need more details, contact me.

Regards,

N.Muralidhara
CRL-BEL

0-ohm resistor

0 ohm resistor cost less then jumper and instalation time smaller

agreed to Iouri

Are you shure it's 0 ohm?
Isn't it 0.1 ohm or 0.2...?

0-ohm resistor

i simply use them as jumpers, they make my circuits neat instead of having wires every where on my pcb

We use them at my work to switch in/out optional features on our products.

The optional circuit features would be populated on the board and the 0 ohm resistor that bypassed them would be removed.

0-ohm resistor

We bought a reel of 0-ohm resistors that were marked by the manufacturer as 5% tolerance. I understand why they did that, but it's still amusing.

Are you shure it's 0 ohm?
Isn't it 0.1 ohm or 0.2...?
Yes, in full datasheets there is a specification for jumper components, e. g.:
The jumper has a maximum resistance Rmax = 50 mΩ and a rated current IR = 2 A.

I think, there is one other purpose of 0 ohm resistor. In HF technologies, there is sometimes better to use a 0 ohm resistor instead 2 vias, cos via has higher inductance and you don't have to go to the other side of PCB. In this case, you use 0 ohm resistor as some "bridge".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back