Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is the protocol for ethernet communication?

Status
Not open for further replies.

slhugo

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
what is the protocol for ethernet ?

does it request address then data characters ? how does it work?
do you send ASCII characters via serial port ? handshaking ? how do i respond to an Ethernet command ? is there a command list ? does it use commands ? i just don't understand it.

can anybody help me ?

Im pretty sure can handle the software and hardware development. i just need to
understand how to communicate via Ethernet

thank you
hugo

ethernet protocol

Ethernet simply delivers a packet from one hardware address to another. It doesn't do requests or commands or handshake. You are probably thinking of TCP, which uses IP, which uses Ethernet. If you write a program in Windows or Linux (or some other networking operating system) that opens a socket and talks to another computer, then your program is most likely using TCP or UDP.

Do you really want to learn networking protocols (that's a big project), or do you want to learn to write a Windows or Linux program that opens a TCP or UDP socket and talks to another computer (that's usually easy)?

Re: ethernet protocol

thank you

i need to communicate via ethernet between my own 8051 based circuit design
and a PLC (allen bradly or GE mfgs)

hugo

ethernet protocol

you can use e.g. ENC28J60 which is single chip spi/ethernet converter

i will check it out

ENC28J60

thank you cancel

ethernet protocol

Ok, a microcontroller project. Forget what I said about Windows and Linux.

I'm guessing that Ethernet won't be sufficient, and you probably also need Internet such as TCP or UDP. Here's an all-in-one chip that provides Ethernet, IP, TCP, and more. I've never tried it. It's looks easy-to-use, but not high-performance:
**broken link removed**

slhugo said:
what is the protocol for ethernet ?

does it request address then data characters ? how does it work?
do you send ASCII characters via serial port ? handshaking ? how do i respond to an Ethernet command ? is there a command list ? does it use commands ? i just don't understand it.

can anybody help me ?

Im pretty sure can handle the software and hardware development. i just need to
understand how to communicate via Ethernet

thank you
hugo

Friend I had done a small program using Ethernet - WINSOCK in VB6 using UDP protocol , may be it wiol help you to understand how datatransfer happens in Ethernet .....

Best of luck ......

Status
Not open for further replies.