Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is the pdf of Y and what are the mean and variance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmonon

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am concerned with a r.v. Y=X ^ -1 where X ~ N(0,1). What is the pdf of Y and what is the mean, variance? Any one, please?

complicated pdf?

Mean is calculated by substituting x*pdf(x) in the interval to f(x)*pdf(x); similar approach for the variance: just substitute the RV index with the function on the RV index.

pmonon

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Re: complicated pdf?

eternal_nan said:
Mean is calculated by substituting x*pdf(x) in the interval to f(x)*pdf(x); similar approach for the variance: just substitute the RV index with the function on the RV index.

But when you evaluate the integral for mean what happens? Is it zero or infinity or undefined? Can you try that for me?

complicated pdf?

Sorry pmonon, the mechanics of evaluating integrals was never my stronger side. Anyhow, N(0,1) means normal distribution or uniform distribution for the original RV?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back