Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

what is the most time consuming function in Matlab

Status
Not open for further replies.

bzaki

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,
i want to make a survey on the most time consuming functions in matlab.
from my own point of view i think it is the inverse matrix function for large matrices
p.s. categorize the functions (primitive (add, inv.....) or complex (fem , fdtd codes...)
contribute all :D

well, matlab is itself a matrix oriented language, in the sense, it uses all the operations assuming matrices.

so in that case, there are only a handful of basic operations that u should consider for calculating. like matrix addition, inversion, may be modulus fn, floor, ceil, random generator, and stuffs... almost all others are mathematical functions which some way or other depend on operation of matrices, doesnt it? anyways, i would be glad to know why you are interested in this survey...

cedance.

Loops are more time consuming hence we avoid looping and use vectorising.

suvendu said:
Loops are more time consuming hence we avoid looping and use vectorising.

Loops are time consuming in any programming language. I think his question was among the "functions" inbuilt in matlab??

cedance.

Loops are time consuming in any programming language.

I can't agree wiyh you.
Matlab isn't a compiler so loops in matlab are time consuming but a compiler such as Fortran or C++ is better than Matlab.

most of the function in Matlab is writen base on other well known libaries such as LAPACK, BLAS, ....

Hamid Reza.

i never said loops are not time consuming. we are trying to answer the question of which function in matlab is time consuming. LOOP is not a function in matlab. FFT is a function becoz its implemented as,

function [bla bla] = fft(bla bla)

similarly, say hilbert transform function, gauss eliminiation, SVD, ifft, ICA etc...

in view of answering his question, loops are not in the picture i guess.

cedance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back