Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is the most intuitive book on functional analysis?

Status
Not open for further replies.

boy

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
What is the most intuitive book on functional analysis with a lot of examples? I have a hard time to understand what they try to do in this topic.

I love the books from Dover Publications - many bookstores carry them, and they're (relatively) dirt-cheap. Maybe consider one among these.

**broken link removed**

I own one of these, but I suggest you review them for your own needs.

Academic.Press.M.Reed.(1980).Methods.of.Mathematical.Physics.Vol1.Functional.Analysis.2Ed
Academic.Press.M.Reed.(1975).Methods.of.Mathematical.Physics.Vol2.Fourier.Analysis.Self.Adjointness
Academic.Press.M.Reed.(1978).Methods.of.Mathematical.Physics.Vol4.Analysis.of.Operators

Oh, well, "functional analysis" can hardly be an intuitive topic, but it talks about topological (normed) spaces and operators defined in them. There might be some simple examples, though, which might shed you a light when you walk in dark. There are a few fundamental theorems in functional analysis and the quality, in my opinion, of the books are more or less determined by if the books are helpful for you to understand those theorems. Those theorems are "Hahn - Banach theorem", "Open - Mapping Theorem" and "Closed - Graph Theroem".

Here are a couple of books:

Functional Analysis, by Kosaku Yosida. This book is the favorite of math students. It has a few chapters telling about the distributions defined as linear continuous functional over the space of smooth functions.

Functional Analysis, by Walter Rudin. This book is widely used by both math students and the students in other specialities. It has a lot of exercises and examples.

I am pretty sure I saw the electronic versions being circulated around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back