Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is the minimum required length for a waveguide to fully propagate the dominant?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bouchy

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

What is the minimum required length, for a waveguide to fully propagate the dominant mode.

Thanks.

Bouchy

Re: Rectangular WG

To put it briefly ,the wide side of the wavelength must be longer than the cutoff wavelength of the dominant mode.

Hi bluuice,

can you please explain you comment.
Thanks,

Bouchy

usually, in a rect. wg, only TE10 mode is wanted.
Higher modes may be exited (but unwanted) and if exited they propagate itself.
Also Evanescent modes may be exited, but in any case they are strogly attenuated by the path.
How long shoud be the path to destroy Evanescents modes?
The answer require to set a level of accepted value (i.e. -40 dB) and a lot of complicated calculations.
As a rule of thumb, a path long a "a" side is enough.

Note that the evanescents modes (as every mode) attenuation is exponentially. So doubling the path, make a doubling of the attenuation in dB.

bouchy

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

hi sergio mariotti,

Thanks for the useful information. I have another question please, let say I design a RWG with cutoff frequency (freq1), width (a) and height (b=a/2). What will happen to my cutoff frequency if I change the height (b) to be equal (a/4).

Thanks for your support.

Bouchy

bouchy said:
hi sergio mariotti,

Thanks for the useful information. I have another question please, let say I design a RWG with cutoff frequency (freq1), width (a) and height (b=a/2). What will happen to my cutoff frequency if I change the height (b) to be equal (a/4).

Thanks for your support.

Bouchy
Assuming you exite TE10 mode only, changing b dimension don't change cut-off frequency. So what change? Only Zo change.

bouchy

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

I have to agree with you, by reducing the height of the waveguide we reduce Z0.
beacuse Z0= (b/a)*the rest of the formula.

Thanks

bouchy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back