Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is the maximum ratio of current gain that can be achieved using a current mirror

Status
Not open for further replies.

assembly

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
What is the maximum ratio of current gain that can be achieved using a current mirror? Or in other words what is the maximum ratio of the transistor geometries that is possible with a current mirror?

Is there an upper bound on the current gain to start with and if there is then why?

Thanks

Re: Current Mirrors

Current mirror multiplication is multiplying the device/width mismatch too. The higher the current multiplication by current mirror is, the more process variation is affecting the accuracy of output current.

Since the ratio of current mirror is governed by the geometric size, this is limited physical limitation on the sizing accuracy.

Why 20? What is the logic behind it?

Thanks

Current mirrors has a physical limitations.

If the length of the mirror is more , then there will be a change in current values due to large paths

One thing is that the bias voltage dictates your current. So,the current mirroring is form a replication using the same gate voltages and increasing the width ,changes the current. If you are designing one such thing,start of with a Vdsat = 250 mv. No one can say ,just a number for ratio,as it depends on the specification, like the allowed capaciatance at that node etc.

I used it x10 factor with 99% efficiency. 250 uA to 2.5 mA

I have another question here. Let's say I need a current mirror ratio of 2:3. I determine the number of fingers of each transistor as 4:6 so that I could use interdigitized form of layout. Someone mentioned to me that the W of each fingers used should be less than 20um for 0.35um process. How true is this and what's the rationale behind it? Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.