Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is the maximum RAM that can be fitted to my laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rahul.6sept

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear all,

I would like to know as upto what value of RAM can i fit to my laptop?
my laptop was provided with 2gb Ram, i added another 2gb,now total ram is 4gb.I would like to know if upto what value i can increase the value of ram and what will be the affect?
my laptop processor is Intel core i3.I'm asking just for the sake of my knowledge and not going to increase ram anymore.
Regards,
rc

It depends on your motherboard, no. of RAM slots available. Search on below link.
Laptop Memory Upgrade
Maximum memory supported by 32 bit operating system is 4GB. If your motherboard support more memory you need to have a 64 bit OS installed in your system. I think for personal laptop 4GB is more than enough.

thanks for ur reply.
Is this any thumb rule or any calculation is there for this? my laptop has got 64bit os.

Maximum memory locations that can be addressed by a 32bit system is 4GB(2^32). If you have ram memory more than 4GB and you are using 32bit OS your OS will be able to access only 4GB.

Last edited:

It is the number of address lines on the processor that fix the amount of memory that can be addressed, not the OS.
An Intel i7 has 36 address lines allowing 64GB to be addressed.

2^64 is a lot of memory. If the processor had 64 address lines, clocking at 1GHz, it would take 584 years to read all the memory.

Thanks for the info.
What does the '64' represents in '64 bit OS'

Last edited:

The 64 is the data bus width.
The micro has 64 data I/O lines.

It depends upon the laptop configurations. Please tell your laptop model no. so that i can provide you the correct answer.

It is the number of address lines on the processor that fix the amount of memory that can be addressed, not the OS.
An Intel i7 has 36 address lines allowing 64GB to be addressed.

2^64 is a lot of memory. If the processor had 64 address lines, clocking at 1GHz, it would take 584 years to read all the memory.

But the OS also matters. A 32-bit OS can't use more than 3.X GB RAM.

Not all OS make use of all the address lines.
Not all motherboards connect to all the address lines.

Nonetheless, The i7 has 36 address lines and so can physically address 64GB of ram,

It is not the processor that is the limiting factor, but the OS or the motherboard.

With a 32 bit OS it depends on what other hardware you install.

For example if you install 2 high end video cards, each with 1GB of onboard video RAM then 32 bit Windows will only see ~2GB of RAM for running programs.

For example if you install 2 high end video cards, each with 1GB of onboard video RAM then 32 bit Windows will only see ~2GB of RAM for running programs.

Don't know if it is true. But I think I have heard such things. Is there any justification for above example.

A 32bit OS can "see" about 3.25GB of RAM, the graphics card onboard RAM in irrelevant, it is only used by the GPU.

What does the '64' represents in '64 bit OS'
For most CPU's there's a direct link between memory space it can access, and the width (# of bits) of internal registers. That's because CPU registers often refer to memory locations, so when you have 2^32 of those, it's convenient to have 32-bit wide registers in the CPU.

Due to software limitations, that register width is usually a choice of 8, 16, 32 or 64 (no intermediate values). So a 32-bit OS is an OS written to run on a CPU with 32-bit wide registers, a 64-bit OS is written to run on a CPU with 64-bit wide registers.

In practice: with a 32-bit OS you can use up to 4 GB, to use more than that you need a 64-bit OS (or complicated workarounds that will probably slow things down).

Some integrated GPUs come with cache memory and uses the system RAM to work. Video Cards have a GPU and a dedicated memory , they do not use system RAM.
I don't know whether video cards can be installed on laptops.

External means not a part of the motherboard but an independent card connected in to a motherboard port like AGP or PCIe

Alex

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back