Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is the Maximum Amount of Files under Windows?

Status
Not open for further replies.

@t

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Can someone tell me if it is possible to have about 8.000 files (maps) in a windows directory?

I like to use the win.o.s. (ME in this case) for sorting names and put them in the right (alphabetical) order, remove doubles and so on.
I will take a separate disk partition for this and all the names reprisent a directory-map (with contents), the partition will be about 100 Gbyte large.
In the maps sits anything from program files to text files and so on, they are now in several directories on several disks and are difficult to keep in order.
I wonder if the filesystem can handle this or if there will be a border (amount) where it will stop, for some reason.

I hope someone has experience with this.
Greetings, At.

NTFS can handle up to a 256 Terabyte volume. Each directory can have up to
4,294,967,295 files and directories (any combiination of the two).

Fat32 can handle up to 2 terabytes per volume and can have any combination
of 65534 files and directories in each directory.

@t

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Let me explain my own experience in NTFS?

I downloaded more than 8,000 files to a NTFS diectory from UNIX server?

All the downloaded files are in the directory, but I can not see the all files on Windows Explorer more than 5,000, or 6,000 files.( It exceeded 5,000, but not over 6,000, Sorry, I can not remember exact number ).

After I moved some hundred files from the downloaded directory to others, I could see another some hundred file names on the explorer.

From my experience, I guessed that there must be a some limitation of file numbers which Windows explorer can handle.

jhbbunch said:
//..
Fat32 can handle up to 2 terabytes per volume and can have any combination
of 65534 files and directories in each directory.
Thanks jhbbunch and visioneer for the response. I like to keep Fat32 as the FS (to prevent extra problems).
I assume that a "volume" is a unit , like one HD.

How do I Interpret the 65534?
a: With Fat32, and using 8000 dir's (map's), will it leave room for ca. 8 files per map, or
b: can each of the 8000 maps contain again 65534 files?

Who knows? Greetings, At.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back