Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is the magnetic loss tangent of non magnetic materials?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHS504

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
What is the magnetic loss tangent of non magnetic materials?

I have a feeling it is 0. But it could be 1, or it could vary (between 0.5 and 1.5 it said in something I read, 1.5 if it is a lossy material?), what is it? Also does it vary with freqency?

Thanks

jhs504

To expose magnetic losses, the material must interact with an (alternating) magnetic field somehow. Eddy currents are a way to achieve this, in so far, you are able to assign a non-zero loss tangent to any conducting material. In most cases, it will be of also frequency dependent.

Reactions: JHS504

JHS504

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
I see. Thank you very much.

Also do you know if the permeability of a non magnetic material will change from 1 at different frequencies?

Regards

JHS504

Strictly speaking, the loss tangent respectively imaginary µr part will already introduce an absolute value different from 1. Possibly, there's also a change in real part involved with frequency dependent losses. I don't have my theoretical elecitrical engineering text books at now.

Thank you for your help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back