Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is the good distro linux for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

enigmacore

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
good distro

Hi, i'm a windows user now. I'd like to try linux as my os. what's the good distro linux for me? my computer spesification are: p4 1.6 ghz, ram 512 mb, vga 64 mb, sound card creative live. thanks before...

Red Hat Fedora. It is widely used and one of leading commercial version of Linux.

hea fedora 4 ,mandriva is good . but if u want compatiablity with eda tools then go for redhat.....

hop all tools work in fedora core 4 too....

thx for ur answer. but, i heard linux in live cd such as slax, ubuntu, gento and many more, i cannot remember them. are they good? some people said, try linux in live cd. some people said that linux in live cd can break the cdrom. please give ur suggestion for me.

No, the Live CDs will not break your CD-ROM drive. The live CDs are complete systems on CD-ROM, you don't have to install them to the hard disk. The downside is you don't have much flexibility; it's just for testing. You can't really install software or reboot.
My advice: For highest compatibility with EDA tools, use Red Hat Enterprise Linux or something compatible. Just read books and websites to get your Linux skills good.

EDA vendors claims that only suse pro and redhat will be the most stable choice for professional task.

You can see the OS roadmap in EDA vendors' website.

Hope this helps!

I use Damn Small Linux, http://www.damnsmalllinux.org , for Data Aquisition.
I have installed also gputils for PIC programming, FreePascal+Lazarus for GUI software development (it is slow, but works), FreePascal for CGI applications (yes !, I do online data aquisition !), and EagleSoft CAD for PCB (it is slow, but works).

Damn Small Linux only need 120 Mb on hard disk. My computer is a Pentium 133, 16 Mb RAM, and a 350Mb partition. Boot on windows and linux. Sometimes it is slow, but works. Data Aquisition works great ! I have ported all my Turbo Pascal software to FreePascal with just (almost) a simple recompile.

For electronic development, light weight tools, is the ideal distro...

you can use debian if your networ is good. but i am not sure whether it is compatible with most EDA software.

I had a very bad experience with RedHat Enterprise Linux (CentOS 3.5) on my Dell Inspiron laptop .. once u start the installation, the OS can't detect most of your hardware as it looks very new to it .. it didn't detect my hard driver .. and I had to look for the ATA driver .. it didnt' detect my display or monitor .. so, i can't run GUI .. it's really bad with relatively new hardware .. and unfortunatly I can't run CentOS 4 instead as most of the EDA tools still can't be installaed over it :( ..

I was told that SUSE is realtively much better from the drivers point of view .. am trying to download both 9.3 and 10.0 .. but still confused about which one to install as I'm not sure if my tools will run on which !:(

Fedora is the easier to install and to use.

Regards.

Use Lycoris Linux Desktop. It is very easy to install and create a dual-boot system. You could access the Windows driver in your local PC (FAT or NTFS) or other PC over the network.

No no no, Use ubuntu :) If, as you said, the pupose is that you would like to try Linux, then Ubuntu is the best choice with much of the common sw u need preinstalled, like open office and a lot of system tools and so on. It has proven to be a low threshold system with more capabilities than most of u needs. Later, If you still want more power, try something like the other versions mentioned. Ubuntu can both run as live cd or you can install it. From ubuntu home page you can download a DVD image with both features included i.e. you can select at startup wheter you want to run it as live cd or if you want to install it as client or server. One thing with Ubuntu that is nice to know, ... It youst works! And even better... Its free, perfect if your idea is to evaluate Linux.

Regards
Vidar (Z)

try mandriva.İt is easy to use for beginners.

try this link:
**broken link removed**

Try Debian. You have fix up a lot of old GLIBC libraries to run them properly. Because most of the EDA assumes RedHat LINUX, and they have old libraries. I am able to run MatLab 6.1 and XILINX WebPack on my Debian system.

i also start to use linux and i m planing to start with ubuntu,than maybe suse or debian....

If you need to use lots of EDA tools, you should install RHEL3.

hi,
is there a problem in Redhat did they stop making it free or what, all current download images are not working. i wanted to download it but every link or miror is dead.
does any one know a working link (a real working one that he tried just yesterday) a week ago these links were working.

Status
Not open for further replies.