Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is the ESR rating?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eno

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I see this rating on components, what is it?

Re: What is ESR?

It is the series resistance. Specifically, they lump all loss mechanisms into a ficticous resistor in series with the components that will have the same loss as the total from all sources of loss.

ESR stands for equivalent series resistance, and is used when trying to modelize some real element.

For example if you want to add a coil to a circuit, you coud modelize it as an ESR and an ideal inductance, because the real coil will have ohmic losses (represented by the ESR)

ESR stands for Equivalent Series Resistance. It is an important parameter for large capacitors used to smooth rectified AC into DC in power supplies. This is because it is a measure of how much internal heating will occur as the capacitor conducts ripple current (usually at 60 or 120 Hz). It is this heating that determines how much current the capacitor can handle.

Equivalent series resistance is an effective resistance that is used to describe the resistive parts of the impedance

hi,

Kindly see the attachment on ESR.
In case you need more detail, don't hesitate to contact me.

regards,

N.Muralidhara
MSRS, CRL-BEL

What is ESR?

Equivalent series resistance

How one could depend on esr to compensate LDO ,as it has strong function in frequency?? it has a small value at the frequency where its zero is placed ??

Should one deal with it as a range of values??

quaternion said:
How one could depend on esr to compensate LDO ,as it has strong function in frequency?? it has a small value at the frequency where its zero is placed ??

Should one deal with it as a range of values??

Hello Quaternion,

Texas Instruments has an application note titled "ESR, Stability, and the LDO Regulator."

It discusses the tradeoff concerning ESR and stability with ripple current.

yes ,I know these.
But I am talking about the issue in page 3 in the stated application note.

Is it mean that we should design according to the flat value esr , but can't this leads to more spikes due to the increase in the esr value at lower frequencies , or its typical variation is small ?

What is ESR?

This post is very help. especially the AVX note. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.