Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is the effect of varying the gate length in both AC and DC characteristics?

Status
Not open for further replies.

protonixs

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
In CMOS, what is the effect of varying the gate length in both AC and DC characteristics?
Does it affect the current-carrying capacity of the device?

Thanks and regards,
protonixs

Re: gate length

it affects and we all the know that drain current is inversely proportional to length... but in fabs the length is generally a fixed value... it affects the AC and DC parameters because change in length changes the capacitance and resistance too...

gate length

This is my little 2 cents.

The drain current is proportional to the W/L ratio. Therefore, it is a better practice to just adjust one parameter, and i guess the common practice is to keep L at minimum level and adjusting W accordingly.

varying the gate length will definitely change the AC and DC characteristic. I do not have any references with me at this moment so I can't provide any details about it.

Back to your problem, I think the answer is Yes, it will affect the current-carrying capacity of the device

Hope that helps,

For DC affect Vdsat, for AC affect gm, rds.

leaving a constant W, increasing/reducing the gate length reduces/increases the current that flows from source to drain, is that right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back