Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is the difference between Unix & Linux?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mamun9024

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
What is the difference between Unix & Linux? I want to learn Linux ownself without anybody's help, so what should i do now? Which web site or things will help me to learn Linux, plz let me know. For ISP which part of the Linux is important?

Unix/Linux

Hello there..
IF you want to learn by yourself...download some books related to redhat linux..u can get those pdf file in net...or redhat site...
And ISP use redhat these days...configuring web server,dns,dhcp,mail server and system administration are mainly used there.

Best Regards,
Buts101

Unix/Linux

hello
unix can not have graphical mode but that is in linux
for lerning linux you can start from commond set. after that you go for internel and programming with linux.

Re: Unix/Linux

tripathi said:
hello
unix can not have graphical mode but that is in linux
for lerning linux you can start from commond set. after that you go for internel and programming with linux.

Please don't write rubbish....

Neither UNIX/Linux have something to do with graphics....it's the X window system available for all major flavours which does it...and there is no "grahical mode" at all (o;

Unix/Linux

UNIX has graphics mode as well.
Maybe the main difference that linux is free and the source is free, as well.

mamun9024 said:
What is the difference between Unix & Linux? I want to learn Linux ownself without anybody's help, so what should i do now? Which web site or things will help me to learn Linux, plz let me know. For ISP which part of the Linux is important?

Hi,
Check this
**broken link removed**
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Linux_For_Newbies

Unix/Linux

Hi

Linux was designd to be like UNIX, linux command produce the same output as the UNIX commands , but the internal implementation of them may differ.
The difference between linux & unix is that linux is free and open source but UNIX is commercial.

amihomo said:
Hi
Yes, the hardware platform is special for unix and the linux is designed for PC which is popular used, also linux is free. The different is little between the Unix and linux, if u want to learning the Unix/linux, I think the book: UNIX: THE TEXTBOOK (author:Syed Mansoor Sarwar ... ) is helpful for u.

Linux was designd to be like UNIX, linux command produce the same output as the UNIX commands , but the internal implementation of them may differ.
The difference between linux & unix is that linux is free and open source but UNIX is commercial.

U may start from diffi b/w Windows,Unix and Linux.
Then learn from OS kernel internels. :D

--------------
Prakash.
**broken link removed**

Unix/Linux

UNIX is commercial operation system, that was developed in early 1970th. UNIX is basis for modern commercial OSs like Solaris, HP UX, IBM UNIX ..

Linux is free OS that was developed using UNIX principle.

Unix/Linux

well once Unix was offered for free to universities but no longer and it's property software.
Linux was build from scratch by Linus Torvalds and friends, it has an open kernel and it's open source software.
About the user interface it's similar and different if U wan't to try a property unix get Sun Microsystems Solaris 10 for x86. It's not as good as most Linuxes and the license doesn't allow it's use on multi-processor systems! So I don't know what this means about dual core processors?

Status
Not open for further replies.