Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

what is the difference between MMC and SD card

Status
Not open for further replies.

necromancer

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
difference between mmc and sd card

i know that mmc and sd card are compatible but if i want to interface mcu with sd or mmc card. what is the best and difference.

Hi,

necromancer said:
i know that mmc and sd card are compatible but if i want to interface mcu with sd or mmc card. what is the best and difference.

MultiMedia Cards (MMC) are about the size of a postage stamp and about as thick as a piece of cardboard. Secure Digital cards (SD) are the same width and length as an MMC card, but 0.7 mm thicker. They include security features that comply with current and future Secure Digital Music Initiative (SDMI) portable device requirements. They are designed for use with portable music players and other devices

Also have a look at this site:
www.geocities.com/romidar/mmcvssd.htm

To make it simple, MMC and SD are poth interfaced using the SPI protocol. The SD has few more pines, a bit bigger and slower.
MMC is very easy to interface faster and you can find few projects on the net.

If you found my answer useful, click on the button that says Helped me.

Good luck.

Sd card has 2 types of protocols. The first is SPI and the other i SD. The SPI protocol is very common and easy to implement. SD protocol is more complex and secure. I read somewhere that the SD protocol is faster than the SPI, I don't know if that is true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back