Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is the difference between JFET and MOSFET?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pavanvkulkarni

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
JFET vs MOSFET

Hi all,
I actually have 2 queries though they may sound very naive.... i posted this in hope of getting a very clear picture

1) What is the difference between JFET and MOSFET in a very very basic sense... And when MOSFET has so many advantages, do we really have to use JFET..?

2) We know that the clock source in most cases is a "crystal"... How does this crystal actually generate the clock... ?? What type of crystals are actually used??

Re: JFET vs MOSFET

1) What is the difference between JFET and MOSFET in a very very basic sense... And when MOSFET has so many advantages, do we really have to use JFET..?

No, presently I have never seen anyone using JFET, it is mostly extinct.

2) We know that the clock source in most cases is a "crystal"... How does this crystal actually generate the clock... ?? What type of crystals are actually used??

Because, crystal reference clock are very stable, they work on the principle of piezoelectric effect, the crystal are made up of quartz till 20-32 MHz, overwhich they operate in overtones (not in digital circuits).

Regards,
Prakash.

JFET as I know is a variable resistor
the MOSFET create a field that attract the electron on the the zone between drain and source so the signal is better when tere is current in the gate. It also got "memory" because on the inductance and capacitor effect

1. JFET is very good for low-noise application

2. the equivalent electrical model for crystal is some combination of
L's and C's, it can be embedded in positive feedback active circuit
(used to compensate the loss) to generate a stable oscillation frequency,
such as colplitts etc.

JFET vs MOSFET

JFET is good for low noise applications, for low capacitance and high resistance input.

JFET has low GS resistance. (GS has junction)
MOSFET high GS resistance (GS no junction)

JFET for small voltage and current applications. (Usually you can not find power JFET at the market)

MOSFET has reverse body diode. JFET hasn't.

Try to read this articles..

MOSFET
Code:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MOSFET

JFET
Code:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JFET

Crystal
Code:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crystal_oscillator

Status