Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

what is the difference between inferring and instantiating

Status
Not open for further replies.

samcheetah

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
what is the difference between inferring a block RAM and instantiating a block RAM. what i have understood is that instantiating something means that you have to tell the synthesizer that i want such and such thing like a RAMB16 etc. whereas if you declare a reg like

Code:
reg [3:0] abc [3:0];

this is inferring block RAM.

so why are there two ways? and which one is better

To "instantiate RAM" means to explicitly put a RAMB* library module into your HDL. Refer to your "Libraries Guide" chapter "Design Elements" section "RAMB16_*".

To "infer RAM" means to create an HDL register array that the compiler automatically recognizes as a RAMB* block. Refer to your "XST User Guide" chapter "HDL Coding Techniques" section "RAMs/ROMs".

I prefer inferring everything possible, because that makes my HDL code more portable, and it greatly speeds up behavioral simulation. However, some FPGA features cannot be inferred, so then I must instantiate.

samcheetah

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Re: what is the difference between inferring and instantiati

Instantiation:
Instantiation allows one module to incorporate a copy of another module into itself.

Inferring:
Inferring means all the resources are available in the chip itself, in your design u r going to use that resource...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back