Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is the difference between i2c and spi?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hanongw

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
about i2c and spi?

what is i2c/spi? what are differents ? have anyone can explain?
do u have any answers?

Re: about i2c and spi?

Both are serial communication interfaces. There are hardware and software differences between them. I2C works with two lines: a clock line ( SCL ) which outputs from master device and goes into slave device(s) and a data line ( SDA ) which is bidirectional. The maximum speed is usually 400khz. More informations about I2C is available at Philips. Check an I2C device datasheet ( ex. 24C02 memory) for details regarding protocol. SPI is another serial interface, but this one have 4 lines / slave device (chip select - CS , data in - SDI , data out - SDO, clock - SCK). Observe that here the datalines are separate. SPI interface allows data transfers at a higher speed compared to I2C, clock usually up to 2 mhz, depending on device. Take a datasheet for such device ( ex. AT25256 SPI memory from Atmel) to see protocol details.

/pisoiu

Status
Not open for further replies.